1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

81 XJ550 Acting a little wierd still

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by automotivated, Aug 20, 2011.

1. automotivated

automotivated Member

Hi Everybody,

I got the bike running pretty good, carbs are synced up, I found out i was having issues syncing because my yics tool seals have gone bad. I put it in there 2 years ago and forgot about the seals on it. So, I replaced those and got the bike synced up and it ran differently immediately. The issue I am having is when I put the bike up to about 6 or 7000 rpms, it seems like the idle will pop up a little bit. And when I go to shift, the idle seems to pop up a little bit also, I dont think this is normal and I am kind of sure that it might be because I havent set the mixture screws yet, any tips on how to tackle this would be helpful. Other than that, the bike runs good now.

2. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Get yourself a colortune plug from xj4ever. When you get it you will need to colortune each plug then you sync again and then you colortune once more. This should take care of your problem. If not, then you may need to check your carb floats also.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

"YICS tool seals?" "Put it in there two years ago?" Are you running a permanently blocked YICS?

Did you get the valves in spec yet?

4. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Ya Fitz I didn't get that either.... You don't want to run your bike with a YICS tool in it. I was hoping that he made some kind of typo. You have admit though that you know as well as I do that those seals didn't last longer than 5 minutes if this is what he did. Automotivated you may want to explain this to us and yes, you also want to check valve clearance if you haven't already done so.

5. automotivated

automotivated Member

Yeah I was told you can run in it with the yics tool in there. No typo. And yes valves are in spec now.

6. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Oh my dude.... Get that thing out of there!!! This is for testing only!
    The Rubber on your YICS only lasts a few minutes then it melts. You may want to get a 45 caliber gun cleaning rod and try to clean out some of the mess that you are going to have in your YICS ports. Then Sync it properly, pull the tool out, put the YICS port plug bolt back in, then get your colortune and do each cylinder. Then repeat the process one more time. Well, now you know why your bike wasn't running right.