1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mineral Virginia

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by skyhawk, Aug 23, 2011.

1. skyhawk

skyhawk Member

So I just pulled my front and rear wheel assemblies this past weekend to have new Dunlop tires installed. I dropped off the wheels at a shop this morning. The bike is sitting on its centerstand, and the front end propped up with a toolbox and a 14 x 14 piece of 3/4" plywood under the front shocks. I also have a large car jack just under the center with a piece of 14 x 14 plywood putting lift tension on the exhaust.

With the 5.9 earthquake, I wonder if it fell, and how much damege to buildings I have. I won't know until I get home tonight. And it is located at the epicenter. :(
    I'm not having very good luck.

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

sounds like you have it pretty well supported.

I felt it a bit at my office here in Columbia, MD

3. OldSchoolOtter

OldSchoolOtter Member

I'm working in Beltsville, MD and had mine on her kickstand. The building was shaking pretty good but the bike was still standing.

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Would have been real weird to be riding it while the ground started moving. Not sure I want to try that!

5. midnightmoose

midnightmoose Member

We felt a small aftershock here in southern PA. Nothing that caused any damage to anything though.

6. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

I live in London Ontario and my daughter said she felt a bit of movement too!
    On the centre stand on a solid surface these bikes are pretty stable, that being said, hope it's ok.

7. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

I listen to National Public Radio and was listening when the quake occurred. The studio was in Washington DC and it sounded like they felt it pretty well. They were laughing nervously about how this quake was nothing like the quakes on the left coast.

It doesn't matter where you are a 5.8 magnitude earthquake is nothing to sneeze at. You guys stay safe over there!

Loren

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i was in the lot at work with one foot on the front bumper of a van bsing about bikes and it felt like someone got in the back of the van, no big deal

9. wizard

wizard Active Member

I felt a movement, but I think it was the curry.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

never raise off the seat unless your sure

11. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Amen....felt it here. I was driving the work truck turning left into an intersection and all of a sudden the truck felt like it had flat tires. My buddy at the shop calls and tells me right after that and I get the news...saw a lot of guys riding today hope they all stayed vertical.

12. doc2029

doc2029 Member

I am in Richmond, Va and my bike was in the parking lot at work on the side stand and it was still up so were the other three bikes in the parking lot.

13. redsix

redsix Member

We had a decent shake here in Western PA. I was at work on the 3rd floor and suddenly I wasn't leaning on the doorframe anymore. I think we had a broken window, but that's it. I hope you guys (and your bikes!) are all safe.

14. skyhawk

skyhawk Member

I checked it out last night and found the bike was still up on the centerstand with no wheels. Even though my garage curtains were down, Spray cans and things were all over the garage floor that had fallen off of shelves. The place was a mess, but the bike was still standing. Same thing inside my house. It must have really shook hard while I was away at work. I'm 5 miles from Mineral, 1.5 miles from the Lake Anna PowerPlant. The aftershocks at night that I felt last night are truly unsettling- I didn't get much sleep.
    My wheels should be ready for pickup soon...
    Be safe