1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1981 XJ 650 Midnight Maxim. (A diary of new owners journey)

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Howard_Stern, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum,and bikes in general so Hi to all. I got this bike as a trainer to get my bike license, I think i made a great choice (luckily)

This thread is a diary of this bike (my first bike) from the day i got it and everything i have fixed so far and will have to fix, and how i did it. without knowing almost anything about motorcycles (I did the unforgiven and bought something without doing any research AND not really testing the bike out. 2 HUGE no no's i n my books. but heres how it went.)

1981 Yamaha XJ650 Midnight Maxim, looks great,all original. tank not rusty inside, front signal lens is broken, runs choppy. brakes, Tires good, motor looks dry , 70,000 kms (about 43,000 miles) $500 canadian

I picked up the bike last Saturday, it started but was a bit smokey and clunky but seemed to run ok, but i wanted to tinker with it and get it going better, (i dont know bikes but i know VW's seems very similar)

(fixed) 1st problem: Headlight didnt work all the time, turned out to be a broken fuse clip under the seat.

(fixed) 2nd problem: Went to start bike and it just clicked, figured it was low battery, charged battery, but had same problem, then i put the bike in gear and rocked it back and forth a little bit, then tried and it started,,so stuck starter i guess.

(fixed) 3rd problem, touching the pipes i come to realize only 3 of the 4 cyls are firing, explains the choppiness, (cyl 1 not firing) So after a few tests I realize its not getting any fuel,, so i took the rubber off carb one going to the air filter and squirted carb cleaner in there with bike running, took a while but cyl one fired up and runs smoother than ever.

(fixed) 4th problem, after getting all cyls to fire i took it for a little spin, when i got back it was smoking, not thru exhaust but the engine itself,, and it looks a tiny bit wet,, I took off the tank bolt and checked the top cover (for cams or valves or whatever)and alot of the bolt were a little loose, so i carefully tightened them up,, took it for another run and BAM ,, not smokey.

(Ordered): Left signal lens,, it turns out that Yamaha used the same signal covers for almost 20 yrs, so they are easily avail from 2-10 bux.

Compression test showed 125 psi on all 4

LOVING this bike the more i work on it,, every problem has been fixed just with a screwdriver,or wrench, and this thing has snot, running amazingly.

(fixed): 5th problem: after running up and down the back ally the bike started coughing and spitting, and would only run with choke on, and rough at that. also noticed its firing on only 2 cylinders WTF???? Turns out i ran outa gas haha DOH! switched to reserve and it fired right up, running great.

Its only been about a week, I dont even have a license to drive this yet, I rode scooters, and some dirt bike as a kid, the "how to" came back the second I got on that bike.

And so the journey begins,,,,will keep you posted and who knows,maybe something I post will help someone.

2. pbjman

pbjman Member

Re: 1981 XJ 650 Midnight Maxim. (A diary of new owners journ

Welcome. There's a guy on a boat forum who calls himself 'howard sterndrive'. LOL if it's you.

3. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Haha ,, no Sir that is not me, although I do love boating also, Thanks

4. pbjman

pbjman Member

Have you read these forums much yet? Some very important things for you to be aware of right now! Rear brake shoes, valve clearances, lots more important stuff for you to absorb.

5. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Yes I have been reading till my eyes fall out, I plan to check all the valve clearance (as soon as I know how, by reading here and manual) ,and rear brakes I will check asap

First thing I always do when i get any vehicle is get a manual (done)

6. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

I tried adding a pic, but no luck, either I am too new, or the pic is the wrong size, I will figure it out

7. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Here are a couple pics of this new sexy bitch

Attached Files:

8. ktp1598

ktp1598 Member

Always loved that look.

9. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Lots of info and help here. Where are you located, you may have an XJ genius just around the corner!
    Oh, and welcome to the money pit (old bikes)!

10. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

I am near Vancouver in BC Canada, Thanks and Hi.

I just found out today that because this bike is 30 yrs old I probably qualify for collectors plates, and thats only $50 a YEAR, not 50 extra,,just 50 dollars year to be on the road legal period. You have to have another car plated as your daily driver and other stuff to qualify but what a bonus ,,woo hoo

11. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Thanks, I never thought I would have a bike someone would look at and say ,, "love that look" :D

I just love this friggin bike, I havent driven it much yet, (4.3 kms in the back alley) I dont even have my bike license yet, but i am workin on that bigtime now

12. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Don't know what it's called out west but sign up for a safe riders course. Teaches you a lot and gives you a break on insurance, at least in the middle (Ontario) it does.

13. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

Woo Hoo!!, I passed the first part of getting my bike license today drove the bike up and down the alley a bit, it seems to pick a different cylinder to not fire every time i start it up, but after warming it up it seems to iron itself out,, could this be from old gas sludge in the bottom of the tank?

I tried pouring all the old tank out but couldnt get the last little bit and I am thinking it is getting sucked thru the carb,, so I want to drain it again before its too late,, how can i completely drain the tank tho?

What about plugs?, could that do this?, I am sure it nothing, maybe some seafoam