1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Whats the fastest you have gone on your XJ?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by TurtleDaddy, Aug 30, 2011.

1. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

Let us all know your top speed?
    What year, model?
    Where (if you dare)?
    and if you got caught...

2. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

116 mph
    1980 XJ650 Maxim (just aftermarket exhaust)
    Pocono Raceway
    Just by my friends on there R1's and R6's

3. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

My dad got about 115mph flat out on the motorway, 2 up, bagged up and with a bold back tyre on his 81 550 back in about 89. There are not really any open motorway stretches near where I live so never really had chance to open any of the 750’s up, done about 100mph with plenty more left to give just run out of road.
    My dad used to really rag his 550 and has sum pretty good stories.
    Al

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

A lot of people do not actually know how fast they have ever been because of the 85mph speedos. Most just seem two make guess’s like 130 out of 750, bit optimistic don’t you think?
    Al

6. gman

gman Member

1 mph pushing it across the garage floor :)

7. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

oh but the tach works fine and I happen to know arithmetic.

Coming out of the hills cutting over from hwy 1 to 101 in northern california. Stopped to wait for the group coming out of a few miles of twisties (Seca does great there too) and lit a smoke since I was waiting so long. The group pulls up and I say to go ahead, I'll just finish my smoke. I didn't realize right around the corner was our turn to get onto the main hwy so my "catch up" wasn't dicing and carving like I expected. Instead it was rowing up to top cog and laying on WFO for a few minutes.

5th gear and the tach reading 11500 rpm? you tell me.
    Times past I've had the tach reading 9500 up decent grades. Haven't gotten to run WFO like that since putting on another speedo...

8. bigfitz52

Easily solved:

[​IMG]

9. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

Bigfitz... Sorry to start a new thread of an old topic.
    Where did you find that speedo???

10. bigfitz52

Hey, no worries; it got the original thread "bumped" too; more new contributions.

It's an XJ900 speedo mechanism dropped into my Seca's cluster. I got it off eBay, NOS, for $20 because it was mis-listed.

The best part of the conversion (beyond the obvious of knowing how fast you're really going) is that in top gear, both needles are "in phase" with each other, like a sports car IP.

11. ol_750

ol_750 Member

8) The fellow on the Honda Blackbird said he wasnt going to overtake me as I was doing over 200ks (125mph) aprrox , I was on my XJ750RL with no fairing 8)

12. Howard_Stern

Howard_Stern New Member

At this point the fastest I've driven her is about 50 kms :D,thats because I just got the bike and dont even have a full license yet, but that will be changing very soon :D

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This is probably the most honest guy here<LOL>!! Got to respect that!!

I'll tell you a funny thing about speed. Like height, I believe that most of us have a built in threshold, that point where going faster or going higher achives internal balance with our inner courage. I hope that I'm explaining this so it makes sense. Most of us have ridden up that long ride to the top of that 200' roller coaster and somewhere along the way up, felt that moment of trepidation....that was your "height balance point"....of course you didn't have a choice to stop since you were on a ride.

So, that being said.....when I road raced my "speed threshold" was somewhere around 170-175. Our bike could, at a couple of tracks, go faster but for me, it became a wall which I had to rely of sheer will to turn it up because frankly, I was terrified to. That in itself is a killer of lap times....once you let that fear creep in your head, you are no longer racing, you are only surviving....a whole different subject but my point of all this is that I've noticed as I've gotten older, my speed threshold has dropped considerably. Now, it's around 130 or so on a bike. Up till then, it's a blast but after that point, it's no longer fun for me, it's just plain scary.

jeff

14. TurtleDaddy

TurtleDaddy New Member

JeffK... Well put! I agree, but havn't hit that mark yet on my bike...
    I can remember when i first got my drivers license, how much 55mph scarded me. Well thats long gone now!

15. ken007

ken007 Member

gday, i agree jeff, you said it better than i could,i dont get any buzz out of going faster than say 75 mph,but my thrill comes from the acceleration ,my 650 is a fun bike as will the RD im doing,a year or 2 down the track im planning on getting an xjr1300.then my stable will be complete.

16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

OK, I've got to ask where your name came from turtleD??? I guess that chelonia (turtle)lovers get curious if someone else is too....I've got about 30 of the little guys....sliders, red ears, yellow tails and a few less common types...

Ken, nice choice with the RD350lc....very nice bike...and you are going to love riding it. 50 feels like 120!! I'm afraid though that your last statement won't hold true for long....I thought the same thing, many times<LOL>!!

jeff

17. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Almost as fast on my XJ650 as on my 1200cc Beemer. I would bet the Beemer is no more than 10 mph faster than the Maxim. 4th and 5th gear on the Beemer are both overdrive gears. You will never get this bike close to red line in 5th. It is just a little faster in 4th than in 5th because you CAN get the bike to red line in 4th.

These Maxims are fast little buggers.

Loren