1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Another back tire question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by EarlGrey, Sep 2, 2011.

1. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

I have my repair manual, I followed the directions on removing the back rim up to the part where it says remove the spindle. It looks like a special tool they use in the pic, but nothing is said about it. Can someone tell me specifically how to get the spindle out on the back rim? I need to get this tire swapped out. Took me long enough to get it and the other is so bald I'm nervous about taking the bike anywhere. Anyway, thanks.

2. pbjman

pbjman Member

I'm assuming you've got the centerstand down and the tire is off the ground, and the pinch bolt is released. Unless the pinch clamp is sticking, you should be able to tap, wiggle, and spin the axle out. Put a sturdy screwdriver in through the holes at the end of the axle and see if that allows you to spin the axle some, while lightly tapping on the other end ( you can thread the nut on partially to make sure you don't ding the threads)
    That worked on mine, anyway.

3. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

Yup, center stand is down. I'll go out and try to turn it in a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

If the pinch bolt is loose and the nut off tap the threaded side with a hammer. Use a rubber or plastic faced hammer so as not to damage the threads.

What they show in the manual picture may be a slide hammer which can be used to hook onto the hole on the big end and pull it out if it's stuck.

5. pbjman

pbjman Member

My Haynes manual doesn't show a tool, it just says to pull it out. Try carefully prying between the pinch clamps to release it's deathgrip, just a bit. Also some WD-40 / PB Blaster to penetrate it.
    Then when the axle is out you have to wiggle the wheel, drum & all, off of the gear. Get on the side opposite the driveshaft, and wiggle the wheel while pulling towards yourself. It should slide off of the drive gear (mine didn't come right away but I worked at it for a minute) and then you can work it clear of the bike.

6. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

Lol, that's what I've been outside fighting for the last little bit. I got the spindle out, now I just can't get the wheel off.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

lift up and to the right as you're behind the bike. The gear in the final drive has to come loose.