1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Need Iridium Spark-Plugs to fit on my 1985 XJ700

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by nb_freeman, Sep 1, 2011.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Kevin; Rick and others (me included) don't just automatically try to discourage people from modding their bikes. What we DO try to do is keep inexperienced folks from jumping off into an area that they have no understanding, experience, or expertise in. Too often, a "noob" who knows NOTHING comes along asking about "pods" for a bike that he's never even seen run. To encourage such a person to rip into a non-running bike is to give them false hope that it will ever run.

The best approach to modifying a bike as complex as the XJ is to get it running correctly FIRST; that way the effects of the mods and the changes necessary to accomodate them are more easily understood. To try to correctly tune a bike that's been modded prior to it's running properly is often an exercise in frustration.

Nobody's trying to "stir up" anything; what we ARE tring to do is to help people get their motorcycles SAFE, RELIABLE, and hopefully enjoyable. And for the uninitiated, often that is most easily accomplished with a bike that's in stock configuration.

Once it runs, rides and stops, MOD ON! Then at least you'll know what you're giving up (or gaining.)

My personal daily rider has quite a few "mods" just none of them to the exhaust or intakes. My mods have been to make the bike handle better, stop better and ride smoother; plus be even easier to live with than Yamaha had originally designed. No pod filters, but mods nonetheless.

Mods that I made AFTER being aware of how the unmodded item performed.

2. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

whatever.

3. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I put the Iridium plugs in my 1100 and to be honest it runs the same with the standard plugs. My vote is not to waste my money on fairy dust spark plugs in the future.

My.02 if anyone cares

MN

4. PTSenterprises

PTSenterprises Member

I dont consider changing spark plugs a "mod" any more than I consider putting decals on an import a "mod".

You have as much right to install them on your bike as I have right to say that I think you are wasting your money. I dont understand why people get so butthurt over topics like this. I didnt try to take away your birthday. Relax, take a deep breath and realize that other people have opinions. If you arent willing to listen to them dont post in online forums.

5. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

I guess I wouldn't call changing the coils a "mod" either. But more like an upgrade.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

7. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

From experience I have my own conclusion. Never use a hotter range then what your engine is specified to run UNLESS you uses hardened race pistons designed to take the excess heat. Why, because you can and will eventually burn a hole though the top of a standard piston. I have done it. Go ahead use hotter plugs and you will pay the price in time. All the guys here are doing is trying to save you from a disaster that going screw up your engine. Some mods are good others are a disaster. The ultimate choice is yours. You may get lucky. These engines use a specified heat range for a reason. But if you feel you know more then the engineers who designed the bike go for it.

8. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

You're right, but the issue is more deep rooted than this thread indicates. In any case, gentlemen enjoy your motorcycles.

9. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Its not the forum, the reaction you are seeing is planet wide. You will find it hard for people that have used dyna coils with standard plugs to believe standard plugs can't handle them.

You will also find people who understand the internal workings and both the standard and dyna coils to accept the output would required a different plug.

It is not hate to question and disagree.

10. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Well I use standard plugs with them and have had no problems. But then I find that ALL plugs that have to have a gap set are crap no matter what they are made of. And if I have a problem with my plugs I'll be the first to get rid of them.
    When I find a plug that does not have a tab that you have to move to gap the plugs I'll get them! All plugs should be the same style as are used in small gas powered aircraft and marine engines NO GAP = MORE RELIABLE end of story. And I don't give a d*mn what anyone else says about that.

As far as the debate that has gone on here I think that beyond providing the in formation that nb_freeman requested there should not have been a discussion on the matter. After all he wasn't asking for anyones opinion on the matter he just wanted to know which plugs to get!!! END of STORY!!!

OH one final comment just because something makes sense on paper does not mean it is true in the real world. I have worked many, many years as an electrical engineering tech build what the engineers design. And I can't remember how many time I heard "But the math and engineering calculations say it has to work." Spark plugs are just conductors if they burn to hot you will burn them out if everything is set right they will last longer then you think.

11. parts

parts Member

Very interesting thread.

I learned a little more about plugs and human nature all
    in the same read.

I hope everyone can get passed the bad feelings. After all,
    we (wrenchers) are the last of our breed. Within the next
    25yrs or so, vehicals and laws will prohibit back yard mechanics
    from our passion. At leased things seem to be going in that
    general direction.

12. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

You got that right parts. To each his own and the sooner we respect each others choices the better.

13. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

14. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

After reading what "parts" had said it reminded me of a gentleman that resides in the City of Brotherly Love. A guy who works on nothing, but vintage bikes and of someone whom I thought to nominate on here as a person of interest. And yes this has nothing to do with Iridium plugs, snake oil or their manufacturers. Just figured you all needed to take a detour from these shenanigans.

Liberty Vintage

15. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Back to the technical side...Iridium plugs do what they are intended to do, which is last longer. And if you carefully read the marketing literature, that's all they say they do. (Marketers bank on the fact that people read into things more than what is actually stated.) If I were Dyna, I would recommend them for my aftermarket coils too, because you will get the SAME performance as regular plugs, but for a LONGER period of time.

There MAY be a "life shortening" effect from the Dyna coils too, but I really can't say that the increased amperage through the spark plug is enough to wear the plug significantly more. IF there is more amperage, THEN there will be more wear.

So that's why you MAY want Iridium plugs with a coil upgrade. And this is from someone who generally thinks that Iridium plugs aren't worth the extra cost. (For these bikes, some plugs don't have the price differential, and some spark plugs are much harder to get to. I'm not putting anything less than Iridium in a car that you have to take half the engine apart just to get to the spark plugs.)

But neither are Iridium plugs snake oil...nor should they be a personal preference. They have very specific and actual properties that for some applications make them more effective (if only COST effective) than regular plugs. I know they aren't worth it on an stock XJ, and I know they are worth it on my stock BMW, but some places are a grey area...and they are never bad for the engine, just your wallet.

16. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

You mad bro?

(Han shot first!)

:p

17. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

The final word on a topic!

Ain't it great football season is finally here! (danged Oregon Ducks)

18. PTSenterprises

PTSenterprises Member

Those Ducks cant lick our Beavers!

19. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

ROFLMAO