1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My 82 XJ750 Bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Davehanssens, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

Here are a few pics of my XJ 750. So far i have bought,moded and registered the bike for about AU$3000.
    still have a few things to do but you can see where the bike is heading.
    mods include

SR500 tank (with 78 GS650 fuel tap, turned around and vacuum removed)
    4" Headlight (which i may change)
    36mm clip on bars
    white walls (front not shown as i has a flat)
    KnN air filters (airbox removed)
    TCBROSCHOPPERS forward controls
    60mm Black faced speedo mounted between tank and triple trees
    12" solo seat
    mini front indicators
    royal enfield tool boxes (right box has a maintenance free battery)
    axle mounted side licence plate with model A tail light

(rear indicators are 19mm bullet shape and will recess into the rear of the frame
    (short black mufflers are on there way too)

Attached Files:

2. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

more pics

Attached Files:

3. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

Did you rejet for the pods? How did the Sr tank fit up?
    Looks nice.
    Al

4. shibby7

shibby7 New Member

I like the look of the tool boxes. Great idea.

5. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Bad. Ass. Reminds me of my old '81 CB650, same stance and blacked out paint job. What rear shocks are you using? Deep red rims on that bad boy would have set it apart.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I absolutely love it. You gonna do any rear fender (even a real short one) over the top of the plastic inner fender still on there?

Nice work!

7. dwcopple

dwcopple Active Member

Thank you for NOT doing red rims!!!

8. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

What's wrong with red rims? You know how many solid black bikes are out there? I know, I used to own one. Oh well, anyway I think it would definitely add more meanness to the stance and to the whitewalls, adding that old hot rod aesthetic to it. Just my $.02.

9. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

I really like the look and stance of this one.

10. thorin

thorin Member

i really like the speedo location and fitment, that's the first time i've seen that done. also like the larger front wheel and bars.
    great job!

11. SBSTebbe

SBSTebbe Member

Awesome! I like the white walls...something like what I was thinking of doing with my army green build. I also like the placement of the speedo. Keep up the good work man.

12. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

Hi Guys,
    thanks for all the nice comments.
    sorry i havent replied earlier but ive been out having fun riding the ol girl. any way. your answers
    - i havent rejetted for the pod filters yet but she seems to be running fine on them
    -The SR tank was a squeeze but all i did was panel beat the inside tunnel and pry it over the stock frame.
    -The rear shocks are stock just painted black. i will go looking for a shorter set though
    -I think i will do a fender, but only to keep the cops off my back. Id prefer it without but ill do something for it
    -i doubt i will do red rims but i am very tempted to do red rim tape. Just 10mm so i make the white walls stand out more but not too much
    -speedo fitment was not part of the plan but once i saw the tank on there, it just made sense to put it there.
    Anyway, thanks for the comments and questions guys. please keep them comming. Even interested in more ideas for the project.

13. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

last pics i took.
    i did put a tool bag/roll over the head light after this though to cover some of the cables. im still 50/50 on it

Attached Files:

14. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

That bike is sick! Red bezel on the rims is a cool idea. You might not want to go shorter on the rear shocks, but if you throw a fender on there that would probably help keep the backside of you from bumping into the tire at a 60mph riding position shift. I'm sure with weight on it, it looks awesome in that position and the enfield tool box/battery box is really awesome seems to flow with the tank and overall scheme of things. Does she have a name yet?

15. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

Thanks heaps mate, your right, I kind of need a fender to protect the ol backside. I like the enfield boxes too but i have to admit, i wasnt even sure theyd fit when i ordered them. When they did i had to then find a battery that would fit too. Anyway im happy with how it turned out. Haven't got a name for her yet. Got any suggestions?

16. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Only the most cliche.

17. DeMentedToys

DeMentedToys Member

What kind of tires are those? I need a set and may as well go whitewall. They look sweet and vintage. Ive got an 83 XJ 750 Maxim that im getting ready to bob.

18. SBSTebbe

SBSTebbe Member

[​IMG]

That's what I ended up fabbing up for my "fender" still has the fenderless look just with a little more style hah! I like the build tho keep it up!

19. Davehanssens

Davehanssens New Member

They are standard Tyres just with some white wall inserts/slats I got off of eBay. They do look the part though don't they

That rear looks sweet! Te be. Think I'll look into doom something similar. The other idea I had was a fender that sat from the swing arm to back of the seat that could be swung out to go from the back of the seat rearwards so if I wanted the fender less look it could be tucked away. It's a bit hard to explain but if I end up doing it, you'll get what I mean

20. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Hmm...check out some duck tail type fenders that are moved forward a lot and slightly up if that's where your headed. I'll try and find you pix for reference. I've always wanted to do something like that with mine. I could hide my tail light under the "duck bill" and/or make a custom pillion pad to catch my ass from green light take offs. Man I'm really considering something similar to that tank and Enfield box combo/look. Is that box from a newer Indian made Enfield or a vintage UK one? I'd imagine the latter being pricey.