1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

hardtail without welding

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by vanndrage, Sep 22, 2011.

1. vanndrage

vanndrage New Member

i have an xj750. i was wondering if this item i found on ebay would be what i would need in order to turn the bike into a hardtail without doing any welding. i am just not sure yet if i want a hardtail and/or if i want to do any welding on the bike so i thought this might be a better option for now.

also if anyone has experience with using something like this i would appreciate feedback as to what you think about it.

Rear Drum Brake Anchor Rod

2. wizard

wizard Active Member

That's not what you need, look at struts.

3. wizard

wizard Active Member

4. RRCS

RRCS Member

That is just a dressed up peice of all-thread from the hardware store, all gussied up with a fancy cover and some hiem joints. More than likely NOT safe to use as a strut. It WILL fail, either by bending or shearing at joints.

Looks like a pretty sweet stay for the brake drum though... just sayin'

5. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

6. vanndrage

vanndrage New Member

thanks for the replies and input. has anyone else used something like this? i do not plan to ride the bike long distances. has anyone made a set of struts themselves? do you have pics? i am wanting to have the bike sit lower in the rear and have the rear fender sit just above the tire.

7. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

I used to run them on some old Triumph bobbers 'back in the day.' Like I said, they're hard on your back. You can make them from some flat stock, be sure to remove any lateral movement at the pivot points.

8. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

My Maxim had strut when I got it. PO hand-built them. Still sitting the garage, somewhere.........

9. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Struts just don't look good unless you get the right angle like the bike Wiz showed you. If you go that route you'll definitely need a spring seat even for short distances unless you have an iron butt. :lol:

10. HESH

HESH Member

If you run struts you might want to take out some air pressure in the back tire. Not enough to make it squirely or bottom out on the rim, but just so the back tire will act more like a shock. (old school hardtail shocks). I know there will be backlash from some on here but it's just a suggestion.

11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

And why is this better than real shocks? I think I must be missing something terribly important from a style perspective.

12. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

It isn't better, struts are just for looks....drops the fender down on top of the rear tire without fear of rubbing....handling goes out the window & rideability is history.

13. MotoMatRow

MotoMatRow New Member

Okay, my xj has ten inch struts on it. I have five inch springs on the seat coming off the rear fender (custom of course) But even before that I had three inch springs on the back when i just had a plate welded on for the solo seat. there are a few ways you can do this. Ask a welding shop to make you whatever length you want out of 1 inch by 3/4 flat stock, or you can go to a motorcycle shop, have them cut the ends off your shocks, and weld them onto bar stock. I've had no real issues as far as back problems, just gotta get comfortable springs for a solo seat

14. MotoMatRow

MotoMatRow New Member

Oh, and I made my own out of twisted metal stock, and the ends of my old shocks

15. koolaid5

koolaid5 Member

cool idea. How about a picture of those?

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Correct. There's a REASON that motorcycle rear suspension evolved into having a swing arm and shocks, once motorcycles started being able to do more than about 40mph.

Actually maintaining contact with the pavement over bumps was a large consideration, I'm sure...

17. MotoMatRow

MotoMatRow New Member

ill post one up tommorrow of mine, ten inch, I'll happily sell then since I'm completly redoing my bike, frame off. i paid 120 to have them made, I'll sell them for 60 plus shipping, I'll make sure they're clean and primered