1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Review

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Metal_Bob, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

The beam looks wider than the original in those pics.

2. trbowgn

trbowgn New Member

I am wanting to switch my headlight for an LED one so hopefully this is a good swap and I will follow with the same headlight

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

If you're still waiting to get a replacement, then I don't think I want one!

4. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Re: WIP: Trucklite 27250C 7" LED DOT Headlight Real-Life Rev

I looked into getting one of those LED headlights, but the price is outragous. I can't justify changing my light for that price. I guess with LED tail lights and signals, I can just run with the Halogen for now and not have any electrical problems.
    I'll just wait until someone can come out with an LED headlight that matches my headlight for a more reasonable price. It's just a matter of time.

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

NO NO NO... I got the replacement promptly. I just haven't had time/weather/fairing available to do anything for this review. (Fairing is out for painting).

Yes they are expensive. But I got mine for $200 instead of $300+. At the time I had $500 "fun money" so I said what the heck!

As long as I keep the headlight and can get my new led signals to work I think I'm gonna give my girl "Val" the full title of

Val the LED Lady

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'am working on a aux light, something like these
    not so much to see with but to be seen

7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

I'd be more curious as to which LEDs they're using inside the headlight... I've got another application those could be used for.

8. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Minor Update:

First day time ride today (with wife) after I installed my backup fairing.

Here are 2 night shots outside my house with the LED Headlight installed into the fairing.

The closeness doesn't give a good sense of the high-beam, but I took the picture anyways.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Update coming soon - weather permitting and me remembering to bring my camera to work (2nd shift job with a ride down unlit country roads to get home).

10. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I keep forgetting my camera when I go to work.

I've been doing 2nd shift for 6 weeks with my xj750 as my main vehicle. I love the led headlight's color, brightness and spread. It is still aimed to high but no one has flashed lights at me yet.

Hope to have painted fairing install within 2 weeks so I can aim it properly.

One DARK side road has lots of reflective signs I can see about a 1/4 mile away. I want to take pictures there. Maybe halogen vs led on 2 different nights.

11. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Are you happy with it even considering the price? Would you buy it again, or would you sell it if someone offered exactly what you paid for it?

12. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Since I think they are no longer for sale by the seller... I paid $200 (instead of 300ish) when I had about $500 fun money available (from a small inheritance pot).

Am I happy with performance vs. price I paid?

Yes but because of my purchase price.
    I would have been happy with my H4 Halogen kit if I didn't buy the LED headlight, but would not have the amp/watt savings on my bike.

Buy it again?
    Would I pay 200 vs. 300 again yes.
    Would I pay 200 or 300 outright without "fun money" pot, probably not.
    Would I buy them if I had a full time office job again making OK money like I was... Yes, but I would have saved up for a month or so.

Would I sell it?
    If desperate for cash I guess so, but reluctantly (because I'd probably not be able to buy one again for a long time).
    I might also sell it if I wanted the bike 100% stock again and removed my fairing and luggage.
    I guess I'd also sell it if I bought a "modern" bike that doesn't use 7" lights and was selling my XJ and never planned on owning/riding a classic bike again. (Definitely sell it separately if I sold the bike!!!)

Do I think it is really worth $300?
    NO. But considering they are mostly targeted at Hummers, Jeeps, Harleys and Classic Car restorations - those owners may not mind spending the money as much. :lol: (Keep in mind they are the 1st and only DOT LED 7" Headlights on the market at the moment).

Money aside - I am happy with the headlight and hope it lasts at least 5 years to get most of my money's worth :)

At the same time I have my eye on a $330 pair of HIGH Power HIGH output LED driving/fog lights. I'd rather pay around $200 but that's not likely to happen. :(

13. ShakerNorm

ShakerNorm New Member

You don't really save much power with the LED headlight, do you? Both the LED and 60 watt halogen are pulling about the same power - 57-60 watts.

HID's are supposed to use about 30% less power.... I've got one for my XS650, but haven't installed it yet.

14. day7a1

day7a1 Member

From Wikipedia: Present designs...give performance between halogen and HID headlamps, with system power consumption slightly lower than other headlamps, longer lifespans and more flexible design possibilities.

The Headlamps draw just 32 watts on low, switch on instantly, have a High and Low beam....and are legal, which HID conversions aren't, and supposedly are just as bright as HID with a better color light.

I love my LED flashlight, it can be the brightest flashlight you can get but draw the same power, or it can be a low power flashlight that lasts seemingly forever.

LED's draw less power per lumen, but from what I can gather they have a ways to go before they are good for motorcycle headlight. I'll stick with my Hella halogen kit, for $10 on that online auction site...

15. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Just curious, why did you choose leds over hids? hids are much cheaper, and also a much whiter light than the blue that is in the pictures. but if you're going for the blue look thats cool though.

16. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

In real life they are really not blue-ish - Maybe just the tiniest hint of blue. Those night shots are not very good color wise.

If you look at my Signature I have a 100% LED lighted bike now (Headlight, fog lights, dash panel [gauges, turn indicator, high and neutral lights], Front Turn signals, Rear DOT turn signal, extra side turn signals, Rear Brake/running light + Extra brake/running lights on my trunk, license plate light).

Although my LED headlight is not cheap, I didn't pay full price and proper HID kits are not cheap either.

FYI: I did replace my alternator brushes late last year (very worn down). So with that fixed my battery/amps should be in even better shape. To bad I let it die and freeze over the winter... New battery in UPS depot since I was not home today. GRRRRR

NOTE: By adding all those LEDs, I don't worry about running my AMP'ed Head Unit (radio), cell phone chargers and any future heated gear w/o running out of battery power. (To tired to remember the correct terms).

17. THROTTLE8

THROTTLE8 New Member

Hey metal bob ,
    Will that light fit in a headlight assembly of xj650 (no fairing)? Sorry if stupid question just wanting to know my options before I buy something. I'm wanting to put a round headlight on my xj750 instead of the factory square one. Thanks for any help!

18. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

It SHOULD fit in any 7" round headlight housing with some sort of front holding ring.

EDIT: They now have a newer version that looks more like a normal headlight. I think they call it a Phase 6 or 7. Seems more popular with the HD riders since it looks normal and smoked color when off.

19. JBIII

JBIII New Member

Bob,

My question is did you change the turn signals and brake light to LEDs? If so what did you have to do to get them working?? I'm having problems getting them to work on my XJ650. :roll:

Thanks

20. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

You have to install electronic flasher relys that will work properly with the led bulbs.