1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

started life as an 81 maxim 550

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by blrfx1, Oct 5, 2011.

1. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

I got this bike for free for doing some work to a friends bike, he got the bike free for helping someone else. it sat for years in someones barn, hasnt been on the road since 93. cleaned out the tank, cleaned the carbs, and tried to sync the carbs, didnt know what yics was at that point, im a honda guy... she started right up, took her down road and felt something wrong. started looking her over and noticed a lot of home repairs with a stick welder. took the bike down to the frame and found that the left upper shock mount was one inch forward and almost an inch lower then the right side. i junked the frame and bought a used frame and swingarm on ebay. should have thought about it a little more and got a seca frame instead of a maxim, but itll work. put it back into rolling chassis form to get some ideas. i plan on cutting some stuff off and cleaning up the look of the bike.
    i just tried to post this with pictures, but the site wont let me. pics to come soon.

2. MotoMatRow

MotoMatRow New Member

Bob the sh*t out of iit

3. Hasersys

Hasersys Member

Where are you in south florida?

4. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

or dont. That's cool too

5. MotoMatRow

MotoMatRow New Member

Sorry, we've been working on mine so much after hhours at the shop its all I can think about

6. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

the tank i have has some pretty nasty dents in it, i bought a seca tank off ebay, not in the greatest shape but i know a good body and paint guy. im thinkin more along a cafe style bike, but i dont want to be riding around with all my wieght on my wrists all day. i was thinking about putting some rearsets on it to give me a little more leg room, im 6'4". i want to make this bike to handle a little better, be nimble, ill be using it mostly in on city streets with a little highway drive once in awhile. thats why i was thinking about the seca front end, gonna go with progressive shocks in the back with big boy springs.

Hasersys: i live in palm beach

7. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

finally got some pics up, relize now they need to be under 100k. ive put the engine back into it to get more of an idea of what can be cut off, ive decided to cut off the side stand and just use the center stand. the helmet lock will also go. cant decide where to cut off the rear support, want to make it shorter, but waiting untill i get my taillights in to see.

Attached Files:

8. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

havent done much to her since the move to the new apt. mostly lack of money. i just bought a 78 yz80 tank, going to see if i can make it work for the tail section, im hoping so because next step is the seat... the tank i got off of ebay, was pretty :cry: when i got it. in the description it said "tank has been repainted" .... i opened the box it came in, didnt even take it out, and i could see the bondo. gave the guy nuetral feedback and has been complaining to me about it since, he says he couldnt tell there was bondo and he didnt repaint it, ill take a pic tomorrow and post it tomorrow. so i get to do some bondo work to it to make it a little more copasetic. been thinking about paint a lot lately, think im going to powder coat the frame flat gray, the tank, fender, and front fender are going to be a yamaha blue off of the new fzs waverunner, and im thinking about working the yamaha vintage racing stripe or swoosh, whatever its called its on the yz tank, into the paint somewhere. also just recieved my new valve shims in, that gives me something repetitive to do when i get some ambition. also have two broken exhaust studs to replace.

9. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

some more pictures

Attached Files:

10. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

ran out of grinder discs.... next stop no more side stand mount

Attached Files:

11. XJPilot

XJPilot Member

Do you have the actual helmet lock and looking to get rid of it?

12. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

the one that was on this frame was half way drilled out, im not sure about the one off of the other frame. im going to pick up some parts from storage tomorrow and i think it might be in there, will update. i have a bunch of parts that i wont be using as well, ill get a pic of those up also

13. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

i do have the helmet lock, dont have the key though

14. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

a couple more hours with the grinder today, then some more with the sander and some primer

Attached Files:

15. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

havent been on in awhile, been busy. heres some pics of what ive gotten done

Attached Files:

16. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

a couple more pics of what ive been doing. i smoothed out the neck section. and am in the process of moving the gas tank mount back

Attached Files:

17. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Too late now, but if you're planning on lowering the bike, it'll be a lot harder to get up on the center stand the lower you go, Mine is 3 inches below stock, and its simply not possible. I run without a center stand, and just throw it on for maintenance, and i literally get behind the bike and lift the entire bike and allow the stand to swing under it. I wish you luck. Unless you're staying stock ride height, then never mind what i just said.

18. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

im keeping the bike at stock riding hieght, might lower the front end 1/2"-1"

Attached Files:

19. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

spent more time looking at the bike then i did working on it today. not sure what i want to do with the seat

Attached Files:

20. blrfx1

blrfx1 New Member

a couple more pics. the almost complete tail and custom seat pan

Attached Files: