1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

parts swap question

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by vanone750, Oct 9, 2011.

1. vanone750

vanone750 Member

Does anyone know if the round speedo and tach on an 82 XJ550 Maxima will fit on an 82 XJ750 Seca?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

First off, the Maxim 550's gauges are only sorta round, they've got the bottom 1/4 or so lopped off flat.

Fit? Maybe. Probably take a little re-engineering.

But the Seca 750 has an electronic tach. The 550 Maxim had a mechanical tach. You can transplant the guts of an electronic tach into the 550 Maxim cluster, but the "lopped off" profile of the instrument face could present a challenge.

Getting it to mount up is the easy part. Lots of bigger obstacles in the way. If you're looking to lose your "fish finder" a cluster from a later, YICS-motored 650 Maxim (electronic tach too) might be an easier conversion. The 550s and the pre-YICS 650s had mechanical tachs.

3. patrickcolford

patrickcolford New Member

So what you are saying is the yics powered maxims, use the same set up as the yics secas...that is awesome news..then it should be a plug and play set up..I've wanted to do the swap , and own a yics maxim parts bike, so I should be able to just swap the guages? Any and all input appreciated!!

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not quite plug-n-play, the 750 Seca's got a whole lot more bells and whistles you'll need to eliminate or bypass. But the tachometers will be compatible, and that's a biggie.

5. patrickcolford

Awesome...I should be able to find out how to by-pass the bells and whistles with the forums here, i'll do a search but if anyone has any links to where we could find it, as always greatly appreciated!!

6. patrickcolford