1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Terribly bad gas leak.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by automotivated, Oct 10, 2011.

1. automotivated

automotivated Member

I just put new pilot jets in my carbs and it was running great for 2 days. Then I went out to start it tonight and i noticed a gas puddle on the ground after I had walked away for few seconds. It is leaking really badly from a hose that comes straight out of the bottom of the air box. Anybody know why it is doing this? It is an 81 xj550 maxim

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Is your petcock set to prime?

3. automotivated

automotivated Member

Nope and it only does it while running, I am going to go set it to prime and see if it leaks, maybe i knocked around one of the floats when I put the pilot jets in.

4. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

One of your floats is sticking then and you could narrow it down by doing the clear tube float level test before you tear into them.

MN

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You've got a stuck float or floats; and you may be filling your crankcase with gasoline as well.

Setting it to PRI will definitely duplicate the problem if it currently only does it while running; I wouldn't bother. Just yank the rack and fix it.