1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Valve shims

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Harvey1, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Harvey1

Harvey1 New Member

Hey, I was told awhile back that some of the users have shim "banks" and that I could possibly trade my old shims for shims I need now. I finally got into my motor and I need the following: 2-265 and 2-285 I have another motor for parts and was able to get the other shims I needed out of it. I have the following shims to trade: 1-210, 2-275 and 2-290.
    Also, the motor I'm working on is a 650J. My maual shows that the intake and exhaust clearances are the same (.16-.20) but the intakes were so out of wack(.090-.102) I rechecked my indetification number in order to insure that my motor was a "J" rather than another motor. Is this common with these bikes? I've owned an worked on other bikes but this is my first XJ.

Harv

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

If this is the first time they were done, they could be all over the place

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The Council of Elders have met, the Wizards all agree, the specs are wrong in your manual (they also goofed on the location of the jets)

Adjust your intakes to the ".11-.15" spec as seen in all other models.

Ignore the man behind the curtain. . .

4. skw1972

skw1972 Member

I dont Know where you are located but if you follow the yellow brick road to member hogfiddles he runs a shim pool

5. Harvey1

Harvey1 New Member

Thanks for the info. Finding all four intakes out in the same way and in the same ball park seemed a bit odd. I think Hogfiddles was the person who told me about the shim Pool, I'll get in contact with him.

6. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Hi Harv,

PM me, and I'll see what I can do to help. Also, if you're in the USA, let me know in the PM and I'll give you my cell number.

If you happen to be in the middle of NY that would be even better :)

Dave F

7. kontiki

kontiki Member

I have a couple 260, and 265. I'm open to trades.

8. moellear

moellear Member

kontiki, PM sent.

anyone else that can help me out; I need multiples of same size. 265. I have numerous parts available for trades or else cash

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You do realize chacal has them for about half of what Yamaha gets?

10. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

OK - - let's assume there are "umpteen" thousands of people who read these incorrect specs, and have their intake valves all shimmed 0.004 thousanths loose. . .

How come we don't hear about people "spitting shims" all the time, and why are we worried about someone being "loose" by a couple thou??

11. bigfitz52

Intake valves accidentally being run at exhaust specs won't cause "spit shims" or all of our exhaust shims would keep spitting out. The cams aren't THAT different, the reason for wider clearances on the exhaust valves is because they get considerably warmer than the intake valves.

I'd be more inclined to think that more owners of the bikes "affected" by the erroneous spec went by the sticker in their sidecover (which had the correct spec) than the Haynes manual, or the one factory book that perpetuated the error to begin with.

Worse case scenario is a few XJ650Rs running a bit "soggy" because their intake valves are too loose.

What true percentage of XJ owners ever adjusted their valves anyway?

12. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

I may get razzed for this, but there is another way. I got a $10. micrometer off Ebay. Used that to shave down the shims I had to the size I needed. (wet sanded them) Just be sure to make a note of the actual size shim for each valve in your motor or the next time someone tries to figure it all out they will go nutts.....

13. oilheadron

oilheadron Member

Ooooohhh...wait a minute. These shims are surface-hardened (I'm almost positive about that, but I've been wrong before).

14. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

If so perhaps my valves will not tighen up as quickly? Hmmmm. Ha ha...well will just check the lash from time to time....I think they will be fine.

15. bigfitz52

Or not.

Grinding shims is NOT recommended; they are in fact, case-hardened.

While they MIGHT be fine, the damage caused by a spit shim at high RPMs is certainly not worth the false economy of grinding shims.

16. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

The guys that suggest shaving shims at home aren't doing it to save $7.00, but to finish the job that evening. Wet-sanding by hand, as careful as you are, would be "out of square" by the slightest bit.

A guy who makes high-end $7,000 pocket knives showed me his $3,500 planing machine. It surfaces Titanium stock and folded metal. I don't think he'd trim a shim for me and risk his ruby wheel, but that's the machine that would do it.

FORGIVEN - did you re-radius the lower edge of the shims??

17. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

Just buy new ones,they don't cost much.....

18. Forgiven

Forgiven Member

I used 400 grit sandpaper and did it by hand, they should be ok. Will let you all know if I ever have a problem. I do have some extra shims, but for now can't find them. Sorry.

19. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Not trying to hijack this topic, but what would be the performance impact of having the intake shims adjusted incorrectly?

From my basic knowledge of physics - and PLEASE correct me if I am wrong on any of this - the minute difference in clearance on the intake would open the valve LESS and DECREASE the duration the valve was open on the cylinder's downstroke, though only slightly.
    From this I would deduce that this would result in a smaller volume of fuel/air mix entering the cylinder, but from this point I am not sure what the end result would be.
    I suspect a few possibilities would be in order.. less fuel/air means better theoretical fuel economy but perhaps a lower internal pressure upon combustion (in essence less overall power). Could this also result in issues with cold starting or cylinders not firing properly from lack of fuel? And could it also result in an improper amount of vacuum in the carbs?

In a nutshell, what potential 'problems' could such an issue cause in an otherwise well-maintained bike?

20. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

hmm. kinda sketchy, ahahah but who am i to say that? lol