1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wanted:1982 Maxim XJ650J Complete Front brake assembly

Discussion in 'For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted' started by misslaneous, Dec 12, 2011.

1. misslaneous

misslaneous Member

Hi!

I am looking for a complete 1982Maxim XJ650J Front Master Cylinder , Hoses & Caliper Assembly with everything in very good condition. Let me know if you have it.

If you have only the Caliper Assembly that is also fine as long as it is in very good condition.

Please PM me your Best price shipped to 60647. Thank you

2. Hedley

Hedley New Member

That's a smart move. I tried to replace pads and a rotor and I wished I had just replaced everything at the same time...

3. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Hoses you should buy new. They're supposed to be replaced every 4 years anyway. Stainless is the way to go and xj4ever has good prices on exact fits.

Any caliper you get should be rebuilt too. 2 year service interval I believe. It's easy and could save your life.

That said, I'm pretty sure my parts bike has it's caliper on it still.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

+1

ANYTHING you buy, unless it was just rebuilt, will need to be rebuilt. Period.

Ain't no such thing as 30-year old "in really good shape." Even if it IS in really good shape, all that means is it's gonna be easier to rebuild.

You can't just buy a "prettier" 30-year old part, bolt it up, and expect it to work like new. It won't work any better (or be any safer) than your original.

Rebuilding the caliper and master cylinder are both very easy tasks; bleeding the system afterward is a PIA. That's why to a man, we're all recommending replacing the lines at the same time, so you don't have to repeat the ordeal.

You've got to refurbish the entire brake system, and do it correctly. Buying different old parts won't cut it.

5. Harvey1

Harvey1 New Member

I have your brake system. I can't vouch for it's integrity but it works. I bought a xj650j as a parts bike and actually rode the bike about 3 months ago, the front brake worked fine then. I think the sight glass on the master cylinder was in bad condition.

Harv.

6. Hedley

Hedley New Member

bigfitz52 is right as rain, I just had to have my caliper rebuilt and bleeding was a PIA. Now is the time to put on a new rotor too. I went with "a good used rotor" and after having spent all Christmas day underneath the bike... I wish I had put on the new rotor then. Looks like you found some good parts here but rebuild the caliper and my advice is get a new rotor too. I have new brake pads I can send to you for $5.00.