1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj600 cafe fighter (pre diversion)

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by matie69, Apr 11, 2011.

1. matie69

matie69 Member

Not been on here for a while but time for a catch up.......so be prepared for lots of pics. :) :)

This is the first time i've attempted this size project before and certainly not done any spraying before. As i'm on a budget of nearly nothing i have got to use what i can afford so rattle cans are used.

After stripping back down the prep work began.

Frontend:
    The paint was removed using Nitromors and then wet and dried. Etch primed and normal grey after that.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

U-pol gloss black was then used on forks and wheel and some clear coat sprayed after.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The yolks were also treated to a nice coat of satin black.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And this is what it all looks like.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Overall i was well chuffed with my first attempt at painting.

2. matie69

matie69 Member

Started on some of the engine cases as well,...just a bit of tidying up. Used wet and dry from 180 to 1500 grit and a good old dose of elbow grease, sat on my kitchen floor in the evenings while misses watching soaps. :lol: :lol:

When happy with polishing repainted with black gloss and finally clear coated so i don't have to be polishing constantly.

I know its not mirror finish but its enough to add detail to the engine which is due to be treated to a coat of Satin black so these bits should just set it off.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. matie69

matie69 Member

Frame:

Stripped the frame of paint and good wet and dry. Then smoothed the frame rails and plates.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Etch primer was sprayed first then normal grey primer, made it easy to see any further filling required.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sooooo all ready for top coat...........

Chose Ford mars red.....my camera phone is pretty crap and just cant get the true colour or heavy pearl in the paint to show in pics so included an example.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paint shop advised a 50-50 mix so after getting everything ready off we go....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

That was last night so not had time to check if all is well yet....also need to clear coat, but i will post more pics in daylight once i've finished.

4. BigChris

BigChris New Member

this is a awsome build

5. matie69

matie69 Member

Been to check the frame today under sunlight and its alot more vivid than i imagined......it really does stand out....in a good way, it has a more bronze tinge to it and the gold flecks and pearl just cant be seen from what i've posted.

But this has bought me problems in that the paint i was gonna use for tank and seat just wont work.

sooooooooooooooooooo.......

Been researching some old skool Yam paint jobs for some inspiration and have found a proper little gem..

[​IMG]

think it will bring back that old skool to the bike and certainly the gold will suit...Change the Yamaha for the classic tuning fork decal and use a more speed block pattern like pic below...(without lettering)

[​IMG]

and i think thats hit the nail on the head...

What do you guys think, am i barking up the wrong tree????

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I think on your cafe the block pattern would be the right choice. Any other style and I'd say it probably wouldn't work.

Just my opinion but I'm not sure if the gold would be the color I would go with, your frame might out-shine the tins...but I'm not sure what color I would recommend other than the gold.

I've seen the red on a jacked-up golf cart (redneck country here) and it does shine quite nicely in the sunlight.

Project is coming along nicely.

7. markie

markie Member

Go for the classic RD250/400 block pattern!!

8. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

looking good man!! I appreciate the work you put into the engine cases!!

As myself, who is stuck in the cold of winter, what covers can i take off to polish that wont end up leaking large ammounts of fluids or will need a super expensive gasket set to put back together?

Thanks and keep up the great work!!!!!

9. matie69

matie69 Member

Managed to get better pic of the paint........ 8)

[​IMG]

Just got to run over with 2000grit and some finishing compound.

10. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Great color! I think you made a wise choice :wink:

11. matie69

matie69 Member

Ran over with 2000grit paper but would like to give everything another clear coat, would make me feel better. Ran out as luck would have it at end of last coat, not had time to pick any up yet.

Been splitting bike into sections so planning on frontend ,rearend cleaning up any brackets and fixings that need to go on. Such as.........

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Rear shock has already been repainted and i bought some Ford olympic blue for the rear spring....not decided on bodywork colours yet..but hopefully will fit in.

Sprocket carrier being prepped for a black coat.

Swingarm caps looked ace cleaned up against the swingarm so will be polished.

And front discs been cleaned and checked over.

Getting there slowly but at least its progress.

12. hawkeyemike

hawkeyemike New Member

This is awesome... what a great bike to begin the project. The monoshock really adds to the appeal.

What size rear wheel/tire are you running? I always wondered if a 130 or 140 would fit in the stock swingarm.

Keep it going!

13. matie69

matie69 Member

I have a 160 section tyre fitted but it is a Bandit 600 wheel and swingarm.

An fz600 rear wheel is a common swap and i believe they are fitted with a 130 standard so i would say yes quite easily.

14. matie69

matie69 Member

Bit more work done....

The rear shock was cleaned up and a coat of Gloss Black, the spring prepped and some Ford Olympic Blue, hopefuly the colour will fit in nicely with the frame.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The sprocket carrier and assorted rearset parts were prepped,etched and gloss blacked.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nearly finished with all the odds and sods so i can start bolting back together, tyres getting fitted this week so hoping to have a rolling frame by end of month.

15. hawkeyemike

hawkeyemike New Member

Wonder if the early fz600 or fz700/750 swinging arm and rear wheel would interchange with the XJ/FJ 600 (gen I - pre diversion). Hum, now you have me thinking.

16. Alive

Alive Active Member

Outstanding... Love your work

17. matie69

matie69 Member

Found a local bearing manufacturer that can supply me some new tapered head bearings at a very reasonable £7.00 each (and taper) most bike shops wanted £18ish each so quite a saving.

Got tyres being fitted on friday....do have some rim protectors but don't trust myself not to chip the shit out of them.lol sooo will leave it to the professionals.

Also been thinking about the lights and bars...undecided whether to go for a set of flat drag bars or go with ace cafe ish bars.

And the light unit thought a bucket like the MZs or BMs that have the speedo in the bowl,mmmm.

[​IMG]

18. matie69

matie69 Member

New head stock bearings arrived so the build up continues......

Had to have 8mm machined off the shoulder on the stem so the top bearing would seat fully but apart from that it went together quite easily.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. matie69

matie69 Member

Collected a load more bits from a mates so i could continue.......

Can't remember last time i saw the tank.....

[​IMG]

Swingarm was next in...the xj end caps fitted the bandit swinger and looked nice cleaned up.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Pair of tyres fitted to rims so i could move it round garage...they are well past their best and will be replaced.....

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The rear shock was fitted.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

And after cleaning up adjusters and end caps the rear wheel was slotted in.....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So this is how the old girl sits now......

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last it feels like i'm getting somewhere.....turned out better than i thought it would when i first started so thats a bonus.

Will have a go at cleaning engine up and servicing the brakes next.

20. matie69

matie69 Member

Managed to get some better pics today...shows the colour much better...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]