1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 XJ650 Petcock needs air? Gets hot shuts off

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ElectronicCarpenter, Jan 23, 2012.

1. ElectronicCarpenter

ElectronicCarpenter New Member

:cry: Simply Bike gets hot, rapidly looses power as in fuel starve, shuts off.

From a cold start takes about 5 miles to happen.(minimal stops by signs and lights)
    No matter how much you crank the accelerator it just simply starves and dies off.
    I can crank and crank and it is like there is no spark.. :?: (could be fuel)

Wait 20 to 45 mins mins and restart.
    Travel 2 to 3 miles and repeat issue.
    :idea: Next time I will open the gas cap and try to restart.
    will that remove the vapor lock?

:?: There is some kind of black rubber coating on my petcock It is not factory. Does the Petcock need to vent?
    Vacuum line is good.

The following things I have learned from the forum and will try in this order to see if any of the following fix the issue:
    Travel with Spark plug, drain tube, and small wrench(carb drain)

:roll: Here we go...
    Vent Cap-Try Running it with the cap open.

Take spark plug out of pocket pull wire #4 add plug and see if there is spark.

Drain Carb see if there is fuel.

buy a service manual... HCP1093 Hayes..

check pick up coils...

Test vacuum advance.

Buy a bike that runs and swap TCI module and see if that is the issue.

Does that sound like a good order for trouble shooting this POS?
    I will update on progress. Hopefully it is something easy.

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i think you should move the last one to the top of the list, two bikes is always nice, spare parts, one of each :)

3. sarcasmkillsme

sarcasmkillsme New Member

Sounds like the problem I was having with my bike. I replaced the crappy, vacuum operated petcock with a manual fuel valve from Len. No more problems. Just have to remember to turn it on/off...it shouldn't be a problem if you can already remember to tie your shoes.

4. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Yep... that screams tank vent issue. If it runs with the cap open, there's your problem.

{shameless plug}

Fortunately, there's a writeup for rebuilding the gas cap at xj4ever.com.

{/shameless plug}

5. ElectronicCarpenter

Yep... that screams tank vent issue. If it runs with the cap open, there's your problem.

{shameless plug}

Fortunately, there's a writeup for rebuilding the gas cap at xj4ever.com.

{/shameless plug}[/quote]

Awesome.. I really hope this is the issue. I have never had the issue before, but that was before I sealed the inside of the tank.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it turns out you ARE getting fuel, might want to check your valve clearances. A bike that starts ok cold but won't run or re-start once hot could also have a bunch of dead-tight valves. (Provided it's getting fuel.)

7. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the "black rubber coating". This is probably fuel residue coated with road dirt. If it looks like that on the outside then the inside may look the same. I would suspect a fuel flow problem through the petcock and fuel lines and possible restricted floats in the carbs.

Check your valve clearences.

8. ElectronicCarpenter

No I know grime... this is a rubber coating. much like what you find on a tool. It is some sort of rubber.

9. ElectronicCarpenter

I will be taking it for a ride in the AM... the bike ran great until the tank was replaced and sealed. I find it difficult to imagine that the valves would just do this that quickly.

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

try running with the petcock on prime, that way there's no vacuum to get in the way, but 5 mi is far enough that the petcock has to be working. You can't go a mile w/o any gas flowing into the carbs.

I'd check the fuel cap, and I'd check the tci module.

dave

11. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Don't worry about the vacuum advance, the 650 doesn't have one. I sounds like the vacuum hose to your petcock is leaking; as the hose gets hotter, the crack gets bigger until it can't open the petcock. This is just one of many possibilities though.

12. Rod1

Rod1 Member

you're not getting gas from to the carbs. When the bike died off again, switch petcock to "pri", open the gas tank cap, blow inside the tank to push the gas to the hose and onto the carbs ans start the bike again. If that work, change the fuel filter for one clear to see when the gas is actually getting inside the fuel filter, if it's not, change the hose from the tank to the fuel filter, all this with the petcock in "pri" position. If still tha gas doen't flow in "pri" position you have a problem with the petcock.

13. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Rod1, there is no need to "blow in the tank", the weight of the fuel is enough to get a flow going. Plus this is a dangerous thing to do. EC, try a different petcock. I'm sure that this is something very simple, a clog or a bad gas cap vent are most likely the cause of your problem.

14. Rod1

Rod1 Member

If the petcock or something there is clog the weight of the gas won't make flow, gas vent has something to do with it...

15. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Wow, that was quite the wait. You are correct Rod if there is a major clog in the petcock, or the diaphram is stuck shut, the weight of the fuel would not be enough to get past the clog. What I said was if the tank vent in the gas cap is clogged, the weight of the fuel (provided there is enough) should overcome the vacuum and flow although it would tend to start and stop.