1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I test wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by splazoid, Feb 4, 2012.

1. splazoid

splazoid Member

I'm going to be replacing my tires, and Im currently working on redoing the brakes - how can I determine if I should replace my front & rear wheel bearings? What else should I look at doing while the wheels are off?

And what tools/parts will I need besides just the tires for a tire change?

2. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

a fellow cheesehead!

what part of wisconsin are you from?

3. splazoid

splazoid Member

Im in the Fox Valley area about 20 miles south of Green Bay.
    Yourself?

4. mtnbikecrazy55

Little Chute? My uncle used to live there.

I'm from Green Bay, but am currently going to school in stevens point, So I'm through your area from time to time unless i take hwy 54.

Its nice to know there are users on here from the same-ish area.

Perhaps in the spring, i was looking into going to a carb clinic - so if you wanted to go too, we could meet up and ride there together if you felt inclined to do so.

5. splazoid

splazoid Member

I would be willing to meet up, for sure. But what exactly is a carb clinic? And do you know much about wheel bearings :wink:

6. mtnbikecrazy55

Sounds good!

About the wheel bearings, the most i know is car related but i'll try to help still.

Wheel bearings generally start making noise on one side at first, so if you notice a grinding or a noise when you're cornering, then a wheel bearing can many times be the culprit. If it makes noise turning left on a car, its usually the right wheel wheel bearing, and if it happens when you turn right, it can usually be diagnosed as the left wheel wheel bearing.

Being on a motorcycle, I would imagine it would be the same. The cornering puts extra load on the bearings, which is why thats when you start to notice the issue at first. Of course if it gets really bad, you'll start to notice it while driving straight.

If you have the wheel already off the bike, its harder to tell as SOMETIMES you can feel some grinding while spinning the bearing with your fingers, but sometimes you cant tell unless you have the weight of the bike on the bearing.

A carb clinic is usually hosted and put together by someone or a few guys who are experienced and have the tools to allow you to work on your bike. Its pretty much a big get together of XJ owners and everyone works on their bikes. Most of the time, its to rebuild your carbs, as it can be quite a daunting task to do it yourself for the first time. This way, theres experienced guys who are willing to answer questions and lend a hand if you get yourself is a situation that you don't know how to get out of.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Stick your finger in there and turn it. It should feel smooth as silk. Any hint at all of roughness and it's a gonner.

8. wizard

wizard Active Member

It's better to test them when they are still on the bike, by seeing if you can get any side to side movement.

9. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    After 30 years of hard use, or no use at all. They have had a good life!
    For the price. It is worth the peace of mind just to replace them and not risk the chance of bearing lockup, or burnout.

Ghost

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member