1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

carburator adjustments.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ruiner, Feb 16, 2012.

1. ruiner

ruiner Member

so i'm no good with carburators, i guess i don't understand them fully. i took them apart to clean them and when i put the jets and stuff back in i seated everything. it seems now that i should've back them out a couple of turns but i don't have any clue how much. is there a specific article that i could read to help me out an gain some more knowledge or would someone have a good way to get it close?
    the bike runs but i think it could run better? it takes a while for the 4th cylinder (right) to warm up so could i be having a problem with that carb?
    any help would be great!!
    thanks!

2. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Go to the search feature and go to the house of church clean for your carbs. That should help you gain some knowledge but I'm sure someone else will add to this.

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

The pilot screws go 2.5 turns out as a STARTING point. If they are all pushed all the way in its a wonder it even runs!

Also, did you do a bench sync? There are several ways of doing it, but the point is to get them all open the same amount (using the sync screws), referencing the carb that is only adjustable via the idle screw, BEFORE you put it in the bike.

If you don't do this, you can also get the same problem you describe. Basically the first is cutting off fuel at idle, and the second is cutting off air. Once you get the bench sync done and the bike running ok, you can warm it up and do a more thorough sync. Go for a 30-60 minute ride (with new spark plugs preferably) and butt test it. If you don't have air leaks your idle should remain around 1k. Get home, pull the plugs (be careful, it's hot) and check to see if you need a little more or less fuel in each cylinder. Screw in for less, out for more.

Rinse and repeat....after changing the pilot screw mixture you should resync, retest, relook at plugs, readjust, resync......etc.

At some point there will be no more adjusting, assuming that your valves are in spec, of course.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As above; IN ORDER:

VALVE CLEARANCES IN SPEC.

Carbs clean, slides pass the "clunk test."

Float levels set and verified using fuel and clear tubing VERY IMPORTANT.

Bench sync.

-reinstall carbs on bike-

Running vacuum sync (with YICS blocked if applicable.)

Final mixture tweaking.

Do all of these steps, IN ORDER, don't skip, skimp or shortcut any of them and your bike should run very well indeed.

5. ruiner

ruiner Member

okay, thank you for the info. now i have somewhere to start. it might be spring by the time i get to it, but the way winter is going here i might have some nice days sooner. i'm sure i'll have more questions so i'll check back and let you guys know how it goes.
    thanks again!

6. day7a1

day7a1 Member

What are you talking about? It's 62 and sunny here! Bout to go wash it...procrastinating!

7. ruiner

ruiner Member

yeah, it has averaged like 40 degrees over here all winter it seems and everytime i think i should put my carbs back on and ride we get snow dumped on us. oh well....

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

so take this down time to get your valve clearances in spec and be sure your float levels are 110% right and you have a good bench sync.

Otherwise you'll get all frustrated when you try to get the carbs set up. http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=32118.html