1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hi, new member.. Shift Assy/Shaft question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dspirito, Feb 15, 2012.

1. dspirito

dspirito New Member

Greetings! I'm from RI and have claimed the entire state for the XJ MAP!

Quick question..
    How do I put this back together?
    bike is a 82xj650seca

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ650-Seca-Turbo-Shift-Shaft-Assy-/200699962154

http://compare.ebay.com/like/380351810149?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

The shifter cover gasket was leaking oil. removed it and have new cover gasket to go on.

Do I also need a shift shaft seal? Where can I buy that?

I have no idea how to reassemble this component and have read manuals and searched!

Thanks, Dave.

2. day7a1

day7a1 Member

You need a manual. That picture is going to mislead you, it's not put together right at all.

You can get a manual here, P/N HCP1093, $29. If mechanic rates are going for $100 an hour, that's like 20 minutes of work...well worth the investment.

As a general rule on a 30 y/o bike....you replace the o-ring/gasket/seal...always. It's just good practice. You can likely get the shaft seal in that catalog as well...but I couldn't find it. You can get it for $6 on bike bandit, p/n 1276996

Of course if you already replaced it and it's a reuseable type, you don't have to twice...but then it's not a 30 y/o part anymore, is it?

3. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Found it...xj4ever p/n HCP490 is the shaft seal also ~$6.