1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

best way to remove broken spark plugs?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pdog, Feb 15, 2012.

1. pdog

pdog New Member

I left all 4 plugs in as i was going through the process of cleaning, prepping, and painting my engine.
    When i went to pull them out, the 2 outside ones (#1 and 4) snapped off right after the threads.
    I have tried a cheapo reverse thread tap and ez outs.
    NO luck.
    Do you think i should just pull the head and go to a machine shop?
    Picture is exactly what mine look like:
    [​IMG]

2. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Soak it in penetrating oil and let it sit for a couple days. Then try the easy out again.

I had a customer break one like that. I sprayed it down and left it for the weekend. On Monday it came out so easy I never put the handle on the easy out.

If that doesn't work you could try heating the head with a propane torch (new paint :( ). The aluminum head will expand more than the steel threads hopefully loosening it enough.

3. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Yea don't give up. Soaking can make all the difference. I have also had success with applying a little heat, a hair dryer will do or a heat gun, and then apply the penetrant. The temperature change will help to pull it deep into the locked metal. Sometimes it takes more than one treatment and more than one day, but at least try this before you resort to handing over the $$$.

4. pdog

pdog New Member

welp. i give up. i tried soaking with all different types of penetrating oil. tried heat. ez outs.
    nothing
    i think they are cold welded in there in all honesty. and theres probably a crapload of shavings in the cylinder now anyway.
    im pulling the head off :(