1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

First Bike

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by CB0Z, Feb 14, 2012.

1. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

hi everybody im new to this whole forum post thing and figured id give it a go since i need some advice and help with a bike i just bought last month.

I picked up a 1981 XJ650 Maxim for 300 bucks its a little beat up but id like to give it that cafe racer look. comments and ideas please!

Attached Files:

2. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Welcome CBOZ.......please refer to the post "first time rider,long time fan"...[aceretor] as the comments will apply to your bike....these are 30 year old bikes that need caring for.....hope your up for a lot of good quality work. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here to help.....it is one of the best [if not the best] forums on the web.

Dave

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Get it running right before you start cutting into it.

REBUILD the brakes immediately before any riding.

Clean and adjust the carbs, check the valve clearances, replace the tires if they're old, etc., get it safe and reliable before any customizing.

Plus, there's that learning to ride a motorcycle without getting killed thing.

Here's one less way to get smooshed: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

Not trying to pee in your cornflakes; but I've been doing this for coming up on 44 years (surviving on the street.) A 30-year old bike is not the best beginner bike unless you're up to doing a whole lot of work on it first, just to make it safe. Don't dive into it backward, you could get hurt.

4. bigfitz52

You're being modest in front of the new guy. We rock it old school and that's all there is to it. It's because we HAVE TO fix our own stuff, nobody else is capable. Not if you want it right.

But we're all REALLY BIG on safety. And won't let you forget it.

5. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

i plan on bringing it to get a new rear tire and the carbs synced this weekend new brakes if needed it starts and runs now but not very healthy sounding. changed fluids and oil filter and plugs. my main concern is to get it running and road worthy before i start buying more parts for it. and thanks for the tip, also plan on taking an abate riding course in a few weeks.

6. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

So CBOZ, just so I read this right, you are going to take your bike 'somewhere' for a new rear tire and carb sync? You need to read thro the threads here...the valves need to be checked and correct before you sync the carbs - in any case you should be pulling the carbs for a thorough clean - chances are all is scudsy anyway........as for road worthy, you must check the rear brake for delamination and also toss the front brake hoses - thirty year-old rubber is not good and your life depends on stopping -not going.........as for 'get it running and road worthy before you buy parts..'........I'm afraid you have that the wrong way round.......you have to spend the money to make your bike safe!! Fitz summed it up....this is all about safety

7. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Welcome CBOZ from VA. Please take note to all these posts. They are things you must do to have a reliable bike. You can do all the things yourself with a little help which this site is the place to get what you need to do it. Do some of the searches on this site and they will help you. I know they have helped me in doing the things to my bike and if you get stuck and need help, just ask here. I'm sure you will get the help you ask for. These are the best group of guys on the planet in my opinion and do not mind helping out with their knowledge or lending a hand if they are close enough. Post your location in your signature. There might be someone close who is willing to help you. Welcome again!

8. skillet

skillet Active Member

GOOD info already, just wanted to say WELCOME from TN!!!

skillet

9. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

thanks guys, and i already cleaned the carbs i plan on replacing all the necessary items new brakes, brake lines etc before i drive it im loading it up and bringing it to a small bike shop down the road. oh and Yammadof i meant buying cosmetic parts when i said i was holding off on buying parts id like to get it running and safe before pouring more money into it on cosmetics i dont have to have at this point in the build but i do understand safety is a big concern for the guys on this site and thats reassuring.

10. bigfitz52

Make sure this "bike shop down the road" knows what they're doing:

ASK THEM ABOUT THE VALVE CLEARANCES.

If they tell you "they're fine" "they don't need adjusting" "they're self-adjusting" or some other BS then they DO NOT know their way around XJ-series Yamahas. It's one of the first things you need to check.

I bring this up because finding a shop that actually knows these bikes is rare; unfortunately horror stories from folks who've taken their bike to the wrong place are NOT.

Simply put, a 30-year old bike is a DIY affair; things like the valve clearances needing to be checked every 5K miles will quickly run you out of cash if you're paying somebody to work on it. You've got a LOT MORE to do to that bike than you're going to be able to afford to pay somebody to do RIGHT. (Although finding somebody to take your money and make your bike worse is relatively easy.)

11. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

ill make sure to ask before i bring it but i was wondering if there is any exhaust out there for it like a 4-1 header. i saw mac 4 makes one but are they of good quality?

12. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Ahhhh...cosmetic bits....so what exactly are you going to ask the "small bike shop" guy to do? If it's brakes/valves/carb sync, you will need deep pockets. If you're good to go for the cosmetic side, I would think that the mechanic stuff is well within your capability. Why pay out good money for a job that might be half done or not done properly? There's all the help you need right here.......Oh, by the way, post your location in your signature........there may be an XJ'er round the corner....

Dave

13. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

ill be sure to add my location, just curious but will a seca tank fit on a maxim?

14. bigfitz52

Not gracefully, sorry. The frames are different, so body parts won't quite line up. It HAS been done; but it's obviously a "Frankenbike." It's actually easier to put a Maxim tank on a Seca.

15. CB0Z

CB0Z New Member

even if i was making a custom seat for it?

16. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Ditto what Skillet said...Welcome from TN.