1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm stuck between a loss and a loss.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by moshumi13, Mar 4, 2012.

1. moshumi13

moshumi13 Member

Hello,
    Basically, I was just wanting some opinions on a decision. I lost my job as a mechanical engineering designer. The only job I was able to find after a long time was part time parts desk at a local auto store. The pay is such that I have to choose between paying rent and food. I am making less money now than I was making on unemployment. I didn't think that was possible. An opportunity came up to work at dealership as a motorcycle mechanic. The only down side is a 30 minute commute. This is a "what if" opportunity I can't pass up. Could someone at least say it's a good idea? I am still taking night classes for my four year degree in mechanical engineering. You need at least a two year degree in my field to get a job regardless of experience. Sucks. I've got the FJ600 running and I rode it down the street, but the tires didn't want to agree. Any advice would be appreciated. I hate that I'm screwed either way.

Thanks

PS-My dad blew me out of the water.

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

I would rather turn wrenches than sell chinese parts, sorry to hear shitty news. Hang in there. A 30 min commute is something tht where I live is a given.

3. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Take the job. a 30 minute commute is nothing. You seem fairly employable, have you considered moving to another area. At least get a border to share the bills

4. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

Don't give up man, being poor sucks. Set a goal and never lose sight of it. If you really want that job, do whatever it takes to make it happen!

This guy ain't kidding...

5. moellear

moellear Member

if you love wrenching on bike(s) than take it! the commute is not horrible and just think when it does get warm, you could ride your motorcycle to work and save fuel costs. I do the same and my commute is 50 minutes just sayin

6. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

i commute 60 miles each way everyday. Its a fact of life now.

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Mine's 58 miles each way; it's one of the primary reasons for owning the XJs.

Granted, it wouldn't have been my first choice, but it beats being out of work.

8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I go 40 mi each way.

9. Harvey1

Harvey1 New Member

I drive 90 miles one way(180 miles round trip) to work every day and have done so for 12 years. I'm pretty used to it at this point. I wanted to buy land out in the country and this is the only way I could pay for it. It's about what you want and what you are willing to do to get it. To ride 60 miles a day in order to work on bikes all day would be a little slice of heaven for me. Good luck man!

10. skillet

skillet Active Member

Like others said, take the job and 30 min. is nothing...

skillet

11. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

X3, especially on a motorcycle if theres some nice back roads!

12. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

30 minutes isn't that long and you get to work on bikes all day too.... Sounds to me like the choice isn't hard. I would rather work on bikes all day than sell parts from a counter. Take it and good luck. Good things come to those who wait. Your time will come.

13. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

How can I not agree with the previous posts? Turning a wrench means you work with the machine.....at a parts desk, you have to deal with people - who b**ch and complain - no, give me the uncomplaining bike - if I screw up, it's my fault, not yours.......oh, and by the way, in my job I drive between 50 to 600 kms a day................

Dave

14. uhoh

uhoh Member

On a side note, if you're still doing your engineering degree go to your student aid office and figure out if you're eligible for bursaries and loans. Bursaries don't have to be paid back and loans (at least up here in Canada) don't have an interest payment until you're out of school. Even then you may find it better to invest and pay the loan % because it's so low!! I don't know where you're attending but there's some serious cash at some institutions and it's very easy to fill an application!

15. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

A lot of cryptic references in here I am not sure I understand and I know you probably don't want a lecture from a bunch of old guys, but you did ask for advice...

Here's my take: Your career is a journey, it's never an end-point. You are young and apparently healthy. I assume single. Men and women with families and mothers-in-law to suppport lose jobs and it can become an event that changes all lives involved...

When you are young, you can and should take lots of risks and experiment... You will find a way to survive, and if it is your passion YOU WILL SUCCEED.

The path is never a straight one... learn and take risks -- it's harder to do and frankly less wise when older....follow your instincts and remain focussed, balanced and gratuitous -- take risks and you will find your path... trust... don' get dragged down.

And good luck let us know what you do

16. LETitRIDEparts

LETitRIDEparts Member

Used to drive from mid east PA to Time square in New York everyday just to put food on the table. 2.5 hour morning commute if your lucky and a 2 hour commute on the way home. You gotta do what you gotta do. Just hop on the bike and take the curvy roads there.

17. moshumi13

moshumi13 Member

Thanks for all the support! I decided to go for it and they asked if I could come up on a day off this past Wednesday. I won't officially start until the 17th, since I wanted to do right by my current employer and give two weeks notice. I ended up setting a first day record there by assembling three Zuma scooters and three 950 v stars. I'm getting hourly AND a flat rate bonus for whatever I do on top of the hourly. So, I'm going to make it work and once again thanks for the support.

An update on the FJ600, I pulled the engine today and got all the exhaust studs out! I'm going to start another thread on this later, but does anyone think it would be a good idea to tap out the hole so I can go up on the stud? Say go from a 6mm to an 8mm for example. All input appreciated.

Thanks Again

18. yamamann

yamamann Member

moshumi - tapping a hole larger requires a great deal of meat or materal around the area to be tapped - sometimes this weakens things too much - a helicoil insert will allow you to remove far less material and give you back the original m6 thread - a helicoil m6 tap ( in the pitch you need ) is actually an oversize m6 tap that is why when the insert is threaded in the ID becomes the m6 thread you need - threads in aluminum are far stronger when helicoil inserts are used - you will need the tap - tap drill - inserts but a piece of drill rod with a slot cut in the end to fit the tang on the insert can be used instead of paying a high price for the instalation tool - remember watch your depth of drilling - you can grind the point off the drill making it flat bottom if you need a none tapered hole at the bottom - I'm sure youtube or the internet will show you exactly how to do this - hope I understood your question - hope I was able to give you a few ideas

19. yamamann

yamamann Member

note - grinding the drill point flat is done only after your hole is drilled since it only creates a flat bottom in an existing hole - later

20. broccili

broccili Member

I dream of someday having a 30 minute commute. I'm at 2+ hours if I drive or ride, and 3+ if I take the train.

Each way.