1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Prized XJ650 Bobber 82'

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Tech50, Feb 18, 2012.

1. deadohiosky

deadohiosky Member

Nice scoot!

2. Tech50

Tech50 Member

Thank you for the comments all :)

3. haroldf1234

haroldf1234 New Member

hey bud!
    im inspired with your bike build!
    its unreal

4. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Nice nice... Nicely done. Love that front end

5. Tech50

Tech50 Member

This bike rides awesome, but due to the hard tail it was tough to go on road trips with it because the seat suspension was not functioning right. light springs worked ok but over a few rides would bend badly, heavy springs had no give unless over large bumps and then the bike would try to buck me off!

So I wanted to put chopper shox on the seat but the 3" height was not going to look decent on this bike, After a ton of research I opted to build an air suspension for the seat that would give it a soft tail quality ride.

I have done just that, the bike rides just like a soft tail and is very comfortable even on the worst minnesota highways around.

6. Tech50

Tech50 Member

The air ride seat is fully adjustable by way of an on board compressor, gauge and pressure relief valve.
    One awesome feature is when deflated it looks like a hard tail with a fixed seat, Then when you want to get on and go, just air it up and off you go with the smoothest ride possible.

Here are some pics, the whole project took an entire day of cutting, welding, fabricating, wiring and mounting.

I am so happy! I can go on road trips now!

Attached Files:

7. Tech50

Tech50 Member

The pictures do it no justice :(

8. AngryGnome

AngryGnome Member

holy gadgets batman! thats awesome. looks great

9. Tech50

Tech50 Member

Thank you, Thank you! I just got a second xj650! planning a second build... Going to step it up some. The second xj won't start so hope it's something minor :)

10. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

that air ride is sick!!! another vid of it in action? the original seems to have been taken down?

11. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Dude your ride looks awesome, a friend gave me his 82' 650 seca so I am in the process of restoring it.

If you have spare parts from the 650 that you no longer need please let me know. The small little details are the hrdest to find (ignition switch cover, side panels, etc)

I cant wait to see what you do with the second bike

12. kjohnson

kjohnson Member

bump to ask where you got the headlight from. it looks to be pretty much what i want for my bike.

13. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

Seeing builds like this make me wanna sell my Pile and get another and do it right next time.

14. MarkV

MarkV Member

wow, great job. I just watched the video on you tube. Cant wait to start my xj bobber project.

15. webofdeception

webofdeception Member

im thinking I will be seeing this bike around town this year, the vids you posted seem to be right by my house :)

16. Tech50

Tech50 Member

Yeah, I am in Eagan but the bike stays at my shop (Eagle Auto Service) in Apple Valley. If you ever want to have a closer look, stop by my shop sometime. www.eagleautomn.com is my website

17. Heyitsme

Heyitsme Member

Aewsome bobber man. Good lookin out on the jet sizing too. What gas mileage are you getting with pods and straight pipes? Im trying to build my first bike, and I'm going soft tail bobber.

18. Tech50

Tech50 Member

Thanks :D . Sorry I never fill it all the way or let it get too far down so I have never calculated the mileage... I feel the mileage is a lot better than when I got the bike and it ran like crap / was ugly (my opinion). Besides it runs so awesome with the new jets, pods and exhaust there really is no reason not to.

19. XJ1100

XJ1100 Member

That's exactly what I'm planning to do with my XJ. I love every part of your modifications. Mine's an XJ1100, but I'm fairly sure it would be very similar. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain while I'm tearing mine down?

Where did you get the first spring seat for $60?

Can you get some pictures of the mini gauges you replaced?

How hard was the electrical to go through and thin out?

Where did you get the new handlebars?

I'd love to see your parts list and where you got your stuff. I'm looking for the same things! Also, I'm up in Duluth. I'd love to see your bike up close the next time I'm in the cities.

REALLY nice work man!

20. Tech50

Tech50 Member

Nice!
    -Handlebars are straight DOM steel tubing from Discount Steel in Minneapolis.
    -Seat from demonscycle at the time.
    -mini guage was from mikes..somthing or another... sorry it's been awhile.
    -Electrical was mostly a matter of taking all the wires out of the harness and moving the main mess into the neck of the frame instead of the headlight, also moved anything I could to the back section. So basically unwrap.. reorganize and the re-wrap with tape. Had to wire the guage but it has instructions etc...

-This would be sweet on an 1100!