1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj500 Died and Lost Power while riding.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chrisjfrederick, Mar 18, 2012.

1. chrisjfrederick

chrisjfrederick New Member

Hi all.

So I was out enjoying a rare 80 degree March day in Minnesota yesterday on my 82 xj550 Bobber. I have been restoring and tuning it all winter. Yesterday was my third day out on the road with the finished bike.

I had just changed the oil and added a bit of Sea Foam to the tank, took off for a quick ride and not but a mile down the road the bike died. I pulled off and tried to start it. No power to the starter. There was power however to the break light and head light

After fidgeting with my wires ect for about 20 minutes, the starter worked and I raced home so not to get stranded again.

Any ideas what this could be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Rickinduncan

Rickinduncan Member

Dirty contacts in your stop switch on your handlebars. Same thing happened to me yesterday. Flick it 15-20 times for a quick fix

3. redsix

redsix Member

Mine did the same thing last summer. I had a broken fuse clasp, letting one of the fuses bob about. I replaced the fuse box and switch to blade-style fuses and I haven't had a problem since.

4. chrisjfrederick

chrisjfrederick New Member

Thanks guys. I checked both ideas out. What I came up with is when I wiggle the wires coming out of the start switch assembly I hear a clicking sound in the wiring harness just under the tank. My thought is a connection under there is bad. I plan to tear into it tomorrow and check.

Any similar problems? Solutions?