1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I'm now a full fledge "XJer"

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by RookieRider, Mar 22, 2012.

1. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

I'm stoked... just got a XJ 550 maxim from a neighbor down the street for $200... It's still plated, so clean title, easy transfer.

Rode it pretty much all summer so i know it runs well enough. but gonna check it over anyways...

down side is it's got a dent in the tank from a wind storm last year that tipped it over and hit his utility trailer.

It's got about 50K's on it....

The Hard shell case will be going back to him for his new bike but the rack itself underneath will be up for grabs eventually...

Even though it's misssing in the picture I do have the side cover...

2. LETitRIDEparts

LETitRIDEparts Member

Wait one sec...I'm going to go buy some stock in bondo. Congrats on the new kid.

3. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

Thanks,
    I was wondering ... is there a way i can pull the dent out...i don't mind a little bondo.. but that's quite the gap...

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

You can weld a piece of wire/small piece if metal on to the center of the debt and then try pulling it out. However it looks like there's some pretty sharp creases in there that might not want to come out so easy. But it's worth a shot. Or just keep your eyes out and wait patiently for one to cone up. Sonetimes they'll show up for 50 bucks on eBay because people don't know what they'll actually sell for and you can snatch em right up. But you just have to be patient. But I would try pulling it first, sure it might not fix it 100% but it would make for less bond work.

5. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT try to blow the dent out with compressed air. I had a smaller dent in my tank and attempted to blow the dent out by pressurizing my tank and I ended up with a bloated tank (including at the front mounting points). I had to get a ratchet and ratchet my tank back into shape.

I would recommend the welding trick first, and if that doesn't work and you are set on repairing the tank, find a shop that will pop the dent. Let them know you just need them to pop it and that you'll do the body work and you might get it popped pretty cheap.

Also keep an eye on Craigslist and Ebay for anyone parting out a 550. Most of the time you can get the parts for way under what they are worth if you find someone who doesn't know what they really have.

6. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

The sharpest crease is in the top, so even if i can get most of the bottom to level out it would be an improvement.

Thanks for the tips guys.

7. splazoid

splazoid Member

Up for grabs as in you will be selling it, or using it? I realllly am interested if you don't have plans for it.

Looks like an awesome bike, and certainly is a pretty color of you can fix that ding.

8. kristopher99

kristopher99 New Member

I have a similar "knee" dent from an accident last year. I tried the cheap dent puller kit from Canadian Tire. Waste of money. It only took the paint off.
    I have left the dent as a reminder to ride patiently, and to look out for old ladies in mini-vans.

9. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

Thanks...
    Yes selling it... I will keep you in mind when i do offer it up...
    I need to investigate to find out if it's a universal or an OEM type rack...
    Either way it will be offered up here to the members first....

10. splazoid

splazoid Member

Awesome. OEM or aftermartket doesn't much matter to me. Let me know when you get some pics after taking off the trunk.

11. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

Lucky Dude!

I have gotten some great deals, but none of them as low as that. In addition, all have needed significant work as they weren't running right. My determination got me through it.

12. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

Get a stud welder and use it to pull the dent. My tank was way worse than that. It had been hit with a sledge hammer when the bike was stolen. The tank looks almost perfect now and has minimal bondo. The top of my tank was caved in and had multiple dents on the sides. I got the stud welder on Ebay for $35 too.

13. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

What brand is the welder, i would like to look into that.

Thanks.

14. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

15. splazoid

splazoid Member

This method actually works quite well for pulling dents. I helped a buddy out with a huge ding caused by a stray shopping cart hitting his car door. A repaint is not required, but you will have some skin damage. Less awful than a big squish, however.

16. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

17. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

Okay, so here are some pictures of the rack off the 550 maxim.

I've seen some aftermarket ones go from $79 to $149 for chromed ones.
    I'm still not sure but i think $40 plus whatever it costs for shipping sounds reasonable.

Attached Files: