1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Timmay

Timmay Member

I re-shimmed a bucket that I totally missed the first time (LOL). Fixed my fuel level indicator problem (no, I did not add fuel!), Replaced two HORRIBLE 'fuse holders' the PO had under the seat with weatherproof blade-fuse type. Put everything back together and rode this thing. MAN is this sweet! Sync and Tune is next...

2. Timmay

Timmay Member

har har Hogfiddles :)

My noise is gone (I fixed it d'oh) and the cover does NOT leak oil!!!

3. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Got these little b******* out of their embedded state in the carb bowls..

[​IMG]

4. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Rode - in the darn rain - to my brother in laws - where I helped him schlepp a few pieces of furniture - rode home - still raining

5. khsmitty5925

khsmitty5925 New Member

Installed the front brakes after rebuilding, bled lines but now I have a soft brake handle. Worked great for 2 minutes then pulled in garage and went all most all the way to the grip. I am thinking I need to rebuild the master cylinder? I have bled it thoroughly. Any thoughts on this?
    1982 XJ750 with 9400 miles

6. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

KH, your suspicions are probably correct, when you refurb one part of the system such as the cailpers, the other part, the MC becomes the weak link. The pressure wants to bleed back thru the cup on the MC piston.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Pulled all the valves and springs on the X head. I think I found the root of the reason why the engine had been removed from a bike in the first place. Turns out that most of the water passages are mostly to completely plugged with yellowish/greenish/brownish goop. Enough holes were open that the water could still somewhat circulate. My assumption is that the temp sensor couldn't detect that the engine was running too hot, it would start running rough, the owner assumed it to be shim=related so pulled the shims, found things to be relatively ok, or else found it to be too much work, pulled the shims and buttoned the top together again.

So, I'll clean the head, valves, etc......probably end up putting new stem seals in although these still seem to be perfectly fine, then lap the valves, and start re-assembling that.

Dave Fox

8. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I just got done resyncing mine...... smooth as silk!
    But I din't ride today.... snow spitting outside today.

COME ON SUMMER!!!

9. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I finally got to #1 carb of the rack that originally came with my bike, the float valve was stuck in the valve body. Here is a cautionary bit of info... don't soak your carb using W**mart carb cleaner if you want to re-use any of the rubber parts. I bought this carb cleaner from W**mart and it is not at all friendly to rubber. The float valve did get freed up though. I did, however, save the diaphram from harm, it was only exposed to the vapors. I did lose the choke valve grommet, the tip of the float valve, and the butterfly shaft seals. I knew this would happen, to some degree, but I have another rack of carbs that are in fine shape.

10. mook1al

mook1al Member

Today I cleaned up the stable a bit and started stripping the XJ down to the frame to ready for paint and polish.

11. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

If that carb cleaner ate those rubber parts, that means it was doing what it should.
    Carb cleaner that works, generally eats rubber!

Be careful with your rubber parts!

12. Erman

Erman Member

Started priming carbs, centerstand, and swing arm for paint.
    Removed 6 layers of paint from front fender...

13. Erman

Erman Member

Did NOT completely remove paint from left side side cover...
    Turns out the sanding disc was too coarse, at 240 grit...

14. clark1971

clark1971 New Member

Well, I got the bike last summer. Came on here, introduced myself, showed a couple of pics of the bike as it came home to me, and disappeared.

Today, I started the tear down in earnest, pulled the carb rack to prepare for rebuild, and just for giggles, mocked up my new bars, grips and mirrors.

Attached Files:

15. Johnius

Johnius Member

Today I dropped the rear spring preload and rebound dampening to the lowest settings. Doesn't seem to affect the handling with my 180lb carcass on it. Still trying to sort out a rear-end wobble. I checked the bearings, swing arm, and shocks. I'm guessing my rear tire is out of balance. And they just closed the Yamaha shop down the street. Obviously I didn't buy enough parts...

16. fnuggi

fnuggi New Member

:D Filled her up with fresh gas and went for a ride, nothing to complain about after winterstorage.

17. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

It doesn't matter where you buy the carb cleaner. Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto, it's the same. Been said a bazillion times on here, don't clean your carbs with the rubber bits in them or they will get destroyed.

18. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

What I did today:

Tested the waterproof-ness of the XJ. Shinko 712s have much better wet traction than the old tires.

19. eastside

eastside New Member

melted your butterfly valve shaft seals? Can those seals be replaced? Are they available?

20. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Yup. XJ4Ever