1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Second ride, first OMG moment of the season

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by bigfitz52, Mar 21, 2012.

1. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It was 77*F when I got home at 7:10 this evening.

So.. About an hour later, as it's just approaching good and dark, I'm doing my thing-- smoothing down a rural backroad about 68mph enjoying the country air.

I spot a pair of bright spots beside the road-- EYES. Must be a 'Possum, skunk, racoon, dog-- whatever. But it's animal eyes.

No biggie; this is the country. Love my H4. I roll off the throttle and pop up into 5th, get a couple of fingers on the brake lever, waiting for whatever it is to scamper across the road in front of me, when all of a sudden--

The eyes go airborne.

OWL!

The eyes belonged to a really large owl that decided to launch right in my face; he crossed about over the instrument cluster and I got a faceshield full of silver and white feathers.

No contact; but I about peed myself. CLOSE.

Stay alert folks; that one was a first for me (owl, I've HIT smaller birds before) but it was TOTALLY unexpected. I thought the set of eyes was gonna run across the road, not fly in my face...

2. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Had a similar run-in with some turkeys last fall on my ZX. Was only going about 30 but they took off and just missed the left side of me by not more than a foot.

So yes folks, be careful.

3. RSpark

RSpark Member

A canadian goose cracked the windshield of my old cutlass. I can't imagine taking one to the face that would hurt

4. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

Now you know how Fabio must have felt...

Glad you came out unscathed!

5. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Friend of mine took a turkey to the face totaled his bike, broke his wrist, 3 finger, an ankle, I think a few bones in his foot, dislocated his hip, and had a concussion.

I had a grouse nail me in the shoulder hurt like heck but not so bad considering.

silly birds

6. RSpark

RSpark Member

ouch..... all I can say is poor guy......

I feel bad for your friend, and you

7. AngryGnome

AngryGnome Member

had a very similar incident happen to me last riding season involving a hawk. managed to duck under it at the last possible second. keep your eyes peeled everyone, it happens a LOT more than you might think. damn suicidal birds...

8. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

scary but try a pair of eyes belonging to a 5ft kangaroo just metres ahead! LOL

9. mirco

mirco Member

Wow! Fitz and the rest, those were close calls! But they sure make good stories!

10. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Glad you avoided that owl Bigfitz. Shows you are an experienced rider, always scanning, always aware. I had a pheasant take off in front of me on a very windy day. The guy must have misjudged the wind and was caught in a standstill directly in front of me. I had only time to duck a little & brace myself. Hit the thing dead on with the top of my helmet, as I watched him cartwheel (dead I'm sure) in the air behind me. An oncoming trucker saw the whole thing & tooted his horn in thanks for his amusement. Had I not ducked & braced my neck...who knows? Always scan, friends, always.

11. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Fitz, my avatar is, in fact, a Northern Hawk Owl. The pic was taken after the owl "attacked" the budgie.....who happened to be in his cage and in the house at the time...the owl swooped down with talons out ...and hit the screen door...unimpressed...flew to the deck rail and gave "the look"....28inch wingspan and razor talons....not to be messed with....glad you're ok...

Dave

12. fakeplay

fakeplay Member

Watch out for horse poop too. It's slippery as hell.

13. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

what about the bird? :lol:

14. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

15. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

It's always a good thing if you're still around to talk about it. I hit a deer with my xj700n in Oct, '08. Didn't end well for either one of us but at least I'm still here (and that buck was really tasty).

16. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

My biggest fear is road kill early in the mornings on my way to work. I've never had any problems with live animals though.

17. mook1al

mook1al Member

:eek: Yes it is...just like cow poo. It's a shtty job cleaning the bike up afterwards as well. (pun intended)

I have impacted several small birds during my riding days, but the worst airborne attack I have ever experienced was a Japanese Hornet. I usually ride with the face shield of my helmet cracked open 2 notches. I was on a mid-day ride traveling to a visit a friend. I was riding about 75mph on a small country road. No major curves, very wide shoulders and fields on each side of the road. I was about 2 miles from my friends house, and the hornet managed to breach the crack in my face shield. For those that have never came into contact with a Japanese hornet, it is about the size of an average mans thumb. I compare the string to being shot by a Dewalt framing nailer (don't ask). By the time I got the bike stopped, it had stung me 1" below the right eye, once on the right temple, once just inside the ear, and twice on the right side of my neck just below my ear. I am not allergic to anything, but that many stings had me so swollen and in pain, I spent the rest of the day at my friends house popping Benedryl and chugging moonshine.

18. ericesch

ericesch Member

Years ago I took a crow in the chest at 60mph. Knocked me off the bike. My machine continued on 1/4 mile without me and tipped over gently in the ditch. I was not as lucky as the bike and took some road rash and 2 broken ribs. Now when I get hit by a bug I take the sting and thank god it wasn't a bird.

19. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

(YET.)

Road kill generally starts out as a live animal; another vehicle got there first is all. THAT TIME. Anywhere you see road kill there is probably another live one of whatever it is lurking. Waiting for you to come along.

Something to keep in mind when dealing with/dodging wildlife:

The reason it's even a problem is that a wild animal has no comprehension of how fast a motor vehicle is capable of moving. Once you're moving faster than anything else they're familiar with, they have no frame of reference. They simply cannot "grasp" how fast you're coming at them. So they make bad choices, timing-wise.

That squirrel isn't suicidal; it thinks it has time to make it across.