1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

xj650 Turbo

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by murray, Mar 26, 2012.

1. murray

murray Member

Hi all
    I,ve been looking at a non running xj650 turbo as a project bike. the main problem is the missing exhaust system. Does anyone know of the availability of exhaust components or of an after market replacement that may be suitable,cheers, Murray

2. splazoid

splazoid Member

There is aMaxc 4-1 kit for your bike, if you want to pop for it, otherwise there are quite a few sets of stock exhaust systems on ebay. Used, so take that as you will.

3. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

You wont find any aftermarket exhaust parts. You will either have to find used parts or fab your own. One thing 1 side is fake so it really does not need to be there

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Murray,

Dave (cutlass) is right. The right side muffler is just the vent for the waste gate. It's also VERY hard to find without the prerequisite hole in the bottom since water would pool at the front of the pipe, then rot through. I repaired mine with alum tape and weld-bend, then sanded and painted so it can't be seen.

The rest of the turbos exhaust is select to the turbo and not shared with any other models. The four headers are double-wall(stainless inner pipe) and smaller then standard 650. The collector of course is proprietary to the turbo. Occassionally, used parts come up on fleabay and are usually pretty cheap since there really isn't much of a market.

The latest word I've heard is that out of the original 8-10K bikes produced worldwide, most estimates of the number remaining on the road or roadable is less then 3,000 bikes, worldwide and some are saying much less then 2,000.....

There is a system advertized on fleabay as fitting the turbo but I don't see any adapters for the turbo so I think it's pure BS. A used stock system can be bought for under 250.

jeff

5. murray

murray Member

Thanks for the replies. The situation is pretty much as I suspected , so I will probably give it a miss ,as other parts are missing also, making it rather a difficult restoration. There,s not a lot of these in Oz, so used parts are not that plentiful , and postal rates can make cheaper US spares less attractive.
    cheers, Murray

6. Ajturbo

Ajturbo New Member

woo hoo .. mine still is used on the road..!!
    clutch is still slipping... though....lol

AJ