1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

caliper disassembly

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by amw_yo, Apr 8, 2007.

1. amw_yo

amw_yo New Member

i have a frozen caliper on my 86 XJ700S and need to rebuild it but i was wondering if there was any alternatives to using compressed air to eject the pistons?

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When I encounter Caliper Pistons which resist being moved by the bikes own Master Cylinder ... or, getting hooked-up to an air line ... I wrap the whole thing up in a nice clean rag ... take it with me ... and, go get coffee.

I leave Duncan Donuts with a:
    Large, Hot, Black -- with Cream, Sugar and Sweet-'n-Low on-the-side.
    Next stop. Midas Brake Shop.

You look for the guy doing the ball-buster brake job ... and, place the coffee and all the fixin's together so that the offering is a visual image from Heaven.

Then, you say: "God told me to bring you this large hot black with cream and goodies on-the-side and you'd show me the ways of freeing the stuck caliper piston!"

This technique has a 97.5 Percent success rate.
    If you encounter someone, from the other 2.5 Percent, who has a worse situation than you ...

Just leave the coffee and ...

Run!

3. amw_yo

amw_yo New Member

nicely done, i will head down to the donut shop in the morning and i'm off to the brake shop!
    thanks!!

4. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

LOL!

5. Chared03HD

Chared03HD Member

I'll have to remember that one..... good thinking!!

I wish I'd have read this about a week ago, I used water preasure to remove mine. The calipers had already been removed from the bike by the previous owner, and air didn't cut it. So I fab'ed up a coupler and apllied water preassure via hydrolic hand pump and 500psi & 300psi later they pumped right out!!

Wish I'd have thought of the previousluy stated method!! :lol:

6. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

Hook them back up to the master cylinder and use the brake fluid to pump them out. Took me a little while but it did work. I also did have to pull a little on them with a vise grip, any padding you can put between the piston and the teeth is HIGHLY recommended.

7. amw_yo

amw_yo New Member

i finally got one piston to release but just can't seem to make the other one budge, can anyone think of a solution to this short of taking it to the brake man.
    p.s. i used the mastercylinder to push the one piston out
    thanks

8. Alive

Alive Active Member

Put the piston you just got out back in (with brake fluid to lube it for removal later), G-clamp it in place and use the master to get the other one out :)