1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Stock air box removal and replacement

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by patrick310, Apr 13, 2012.

1. patrick310

patrick310 New Member

One of the first things I did with my non functioning bike is take the carbs out and clean them. In the process of removing the carbs, I chipped the stock air box and decided to remove it. I was unable to find sufficient space in the frame and because I had another air box in my parts bike I decided to break it up and remove the pieces. I had pods in there but regretted the decision on the first start. What I need help with is removing the air box from the old bike and getting it into the new one without breaking it. How have people done this? I have removed the carbs, batter, and all ferrings as well as the tank, but I cannot seem to get it out. Thank you in advance for your help!

2. mook1al

mook1al Member

What model and year bike?

3. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

more than likely if your having that much trouble with them your gonna have to move/remove the motor. On some of our bikes thats the only way.

4. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Parts bike = cut the frame !!

The starter, intake boots and clutch bracket need to be removed,
    some bikes need the motor mounts and driveshaft dis-connected.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

6. patrick310

patrick310 New Member

Sorry, I thought I had updated my sig. It's a 1981 XJ750. I ended up making a small incision in the side and then using plastic epoxy to put it back together. Seems to run fine now!

7. Rhettb3

Rhettb3 Member

I put one in my old 750... PITA!!! It can be done with the right amount of swearing and " gentle" force though... didn't have to remove the starter or cut the box.

But this is irrelevant because you already got it in...

8. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

I've had the same problem a few nights ago. I ended up coming on here to look for help and all I received was advice not to try to remove it. I have a 82 xj750. The best advice I got was just love your bike the way it is or be ready to do alot of to her to make the way you want. Good luck.

9. mook1al

mook1al Member

On an 82 XJ750, the only way I know of is to remove the engine. With this method, you will not damage or have to alter anything.Plus you can do some really detailed cleaning on the engine while it is out.

PS, add your bike info in your signature, and you won't have members keep asking what bike you have when you have questions.

10. wwj750

wwj750 Member

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Once again.........I use a heat gun and carefully fold the box in, remove the box. I do my work, and then heat up again, reinstall and straighten it out while still flexible. Take your time, works fine.

Dave Fox

12. bunglejyme

bunglejyme Member

I can relate to the frustration of trying to remove the air box without damaging it. I was able to remove the air box from my 1981 XJ650 H
    but only after removing the carbs, starting motor, and a grocery list of other odds and ends. My reason for removing it was to correct a bad concave warp along the face that the four rubber intake boot plug into. The warp was about 1/2" about the center which prevented the rubber intakes for cylinders #2 and #3 from engaging their respective carburetors fully. I had to fabricate and attach an aluminum beam along the warped face of the air box to corrrect the warp. I also had to do the same for the surface that the filter mates up with. The plastic that Yamaha used for the air box sucks. Also, I plit the air box into two pieces and fabricated a splice to join them back together again. This made reinstalling the box back into the biks a snap.

13. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Probably too late for pics, right? What did you use for a splice?

14. mook1al

mook1al Member

I am highly intrigued by this method, and if I need to remove mine in the future, think I will give it a try. I had heard of once it was off the bike to boil it in water to soften everything up and squeeze it in.