1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Quick Question!....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HuberDuber, Apr 17, 2012.

1. HuberDuber

HuberDuber New Member

I just got my 82 650 seca running, and the P.O. Had put on a K and N kit on the carbs and the crank case, My question is...is there supposed to be smoke coming out of the small air filter, It also has a milky oil substance coming out of it....Everything seems to run fine the Oil level is fine in the sight glass, although it might have a little to much....So any input would be great!

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

"K&N kit on the carbs"
    .....Do you mean pod filters on each carb?

Answers to your question: No.

And "milky oil substance" from the crankcase usually means water in the oil.

If you have a small bubble at the top of the sight glass then your oil level is fine.

3. mook1al

mook1al Member

Milky substance in oil usually is water. Does the bike sit outside in the weather? The crankcase filter is for the blowby or crankcase vent. If you are getting a lot of smoke there, you likely have worn rings. How many miles are on the bike, and did you do a compression check?

4. HuberDuber

HuberDuber New Member

its not a lot of smoke, its more like steam, No i didn't do a Compression check. don't have the tools for that!

5. HuberDuber

HuberDuber New Member

and yes it sits outside.

6. HuberDuber

HuberDuber New Member

it has 19,000 km's

7. mook1al

mook1al Member

Go to Autozone and do the loan a tool thing for a compression gauge. Although, they are fairly inexpensive as it is and it is an invaluable engine diagnostics tool.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

RELAX.

You live in the Great White North (Northwest) for cryin' out loud. It's like Michigan-- a tropical rain forest only really cold.

That "mini-pod" is mounted on the crankcase breather outlet.

On a stock bike, that would be a hose connected to the airbox and you'd never SEE all the entertaining stuff that comes out of it.

Nor do most of us.

If your oil level is correct; and the bike "lives" outside in your climate--

All SORTS of steamy clouds of things will come out of that breather, especially when you first start the bike, and when it begins to warm up.

The absolute best thing you could do would be to ride the bike no less than 30KM at a time so that it's completely warmed up and all that condensation is thoroughly burned off.

If you're "short tripping" by necessity, then just be sure to change the oil every 3000~4000KM (or twice a season) religiously.

It's nothing to freak out over. Like I said, anyone with a stock airbox never sees that stuff...