1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I get the air box out of a xj750 maxim

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Sjpoulos86, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Do I really have to take off the carbs off the remove the air box?

2. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Yup. & plenty more. You gotta darn near remove the engine to remove or install the airbox intact. Caution: DO NOT destroy the thing-you may want it back.

3. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Ok forget my plans on repainting it over the next couple rainy days. I'll just wait till I get my k&n filters. Thanks

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

easier thing.....pull the carbs. then use a hot air gun and carefully soften the sides and bottom of the square part of the airbox. Carefully and slowly squeeze and fold it in to itself and you can then bring the airbox out through the opening. Keep it heated and carfully unfold and straighten the airbox so it's just like new. Put the lid back on to help hold the shape.

Other way....pull the carbs, the exhaust, the engine, etc...... along with everything you have to do TO pull the engine. Then remove the airbox, then re-install everything.

Dave F

5. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

WWJ was on the right track the only part he got wrong is you have to REMOVE the engine, I own the same model, I tried all kinds of twisting and turning but it won't come out if the engine is in place. I even tried to tilt the engine forward by removing the rear mount and the upper front mount Give it serious thought about destroying your air box, I hear that pods aren't the best way to filter your air. It has something to do with disrupted air flow to the diaphragms that lift your slides; they work bet you can expect to have fits trying to adjust them buggers.

6. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I would advise against Mr. Fiddles suggestion, it's to easy to lose control of a hot air gun, try it if your brave. On the other hand it is one way to destroy that pesky box.

7. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Wow it's only going to rain for 2 days sound like I got a full weekend project in front of me if I REALLY want to repaint the gray sun-faded box. Never mind the project I'll focus my effort in to modifying it in to the bike of my dreams Except for the gray sun-faded air box.

8. wwj750

wwj750 Member

All right-I'll stick my neck out here. If you wanna remove the box & go with pods for an attempt for increase in performance (faster) - dont waste your $$$ and time. You'll be forever screwing around re-jetting, ect. If youre doing a custom project then go for it, but performance & reliability will suffer. Please o please let this not turn into a "pod wars" thread. Just tryin to help this guy.

9. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

So I'll just be better off leaving the air box and rejetting it instead of air pods and rejetting?

10. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

This is not a sports car. No real point in rejetting unless heart is set on pods or switched to 4-1 or 4-2 exhuast.

11. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

See if you can find the survey regarding pods, I'm pretty sure a majority were against them.

12. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

XJ's have constant velocity carbs that don't like more air from pods. You can try it, but many have failed or just gave up. One person did a velocity stacked pod with success and there is another method being tried in the modification threads.
    You can change the carbs to a different type, such as round slides, flat slides and others that will require other mods.
    Or you can get some black paint for the airbox and learn to like it. :wink:

13. mook1al

mook1al Member

Before you even try to remove the airbox, unless you wanted to remove the engine...try Mothers plastic restorer does a pretty nice job. If you don't like the results, then take off just the side covers of the box that just screw on and repaint them to color of choosing...just my 2 cents.

14. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Ok so with the posts that I have received I belive my best bet is just not deal with the brain acke of changing them out. Are there any othe mods I can do to incress proformace? That are worth well?

15. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Yeah, do a thorough tune-up and clean the carbs. Spend your time enjoying it on the road instead of frustrating yourself in the garage. My $0.02

16. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Thanks john I'll keep it stock and love the hell out of it

17. Orange-n-Black

You can go with mild aftermarket exhaust without a re-jet. Other than that you can do visual mods to make it your own, but get it running right and safe first if you haven't already.

18. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

On the topic of aftermarket exhaust, I switched to a MAC 4-into-2 without any noticeable impact on performance. Granted it is not a performance exhaust and the bike wasn't running that great BEFORE the swap.

A note on this, I did swap out the primary air jets with ones one or two notches up, only by coincidence. I purchased a bunk rack of '82 650 carbs (from a YICS engine while mine is non-YICS) and needed to replace the jets because I mucked them up pretty bad trying to remove them. (Not entirely sure how this change is effecting my performance YET, still need to complete a vacuum sync and colortune/plug reading).

19. Orange-n-Black

Mild mods = low impact to performance. Noticeable improvements will definitely require re-jetting and tuning. Just depends on what you want to get yourself into. :lol:

20. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

The only performance or should I say mod I did to my exhaust, was take off the mufflers. I have noticed any incress or decress in performance. I don't know what the long term effects are but I love the louder sound. Loud bikes saves lives, but pisses neighbors off!!