1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Replaced the temporary crappy clutch lever for the MaximX project with a NOS chrome clutch lever.

Dave Fox

2. bluemoonz

bluemoonz New Member

Worked on wiring in the headlight. Completed the back brake assembly and I'm scratching my head on the front brakes. Not sure I totally understand how to get all the right components for the brakes. They were missing on the bike. I'm brand new at this rebuild and the motorcycle world. :)

3. mook1al

mook1al Member

Picked up the frame and other parts from the powder coater today. VERY pleased with the color and quality of the work I will be posting pics tomorrow on my build thread.

4. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Ordered a set of Gran Turismo Grips off fleabay today. Can't wait to get them in, I really like the look of them and hope their shape gives me a bit more endurance comfort on my XJ.

Also built my homemade manometer. Grand total: $7. Had transmission fluid lying around, used clear tubing and vacuum synced my carbs. It runs smoother than it did, idle is smooth but still some minor issues (dies every now and then). Progress is progress though!

5. elsphinc

elsphinc New Member

Today i installed a new chain after maxing out the old one. New sprockets, new tires, a pair of dunlop 404's, greased all the wheel bearings and axles, re-adjusted the clutch as per bigfritz's post, lubed all my cables and fixed the whining speedometer/tach and cleaned up some dirty frame bits. Amazing what new, balanced tires will do for a ride. its a new bike. busy day.

6. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Alot..... Consult the thread......lol

7. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I picked up the wheels from the tire shop with brand new rubber!

continental conti go's!

Cant wait to get the wheels on the bike and ride them if only the weather would warm up!

8. Sjpoulos86

Sjpoulos86 New Member

Powdercoated my kickstand, hardtail struts and handle bars. Looks great! Next weekend going to bear dunes

9. mikef

mikef New Member

Removed my dead starter motor (starter relay and all electrical connections were OK.) Electrical end was PACKED with a mixture of brush dust and whatever else. Blasted with brake cleaner til sparkling. Brushes still have some life left in them, but now on the radar. Cleaned and regreased the gear end of the starter, cleaned up the cruddy front sprocket cover and buttoned it all back up. I now have a working starter and am back on the road!

10. mook1al

mook1al Member

Cleaned, bead blasted and painted the engine. Still waiting on the exhaust and need to get tires before I can put her back together again...

11. Myron

Myron Member

Rebuilt calipers, installed new stainless lines, new pads,rebuilt master cylinder,new bleed screws, new banjo bolts. Replaced front wheel bearings. Removed rear wheel and checked brakes. Brakes okay. Cleaned rear hub and re-installed. Bleeding these brakes is a pain. Cleaned contacts in right side switches. Reinstalled battery and started bike. idles okay after brief warm up. Exhaust pipe on left side not even warm. Guess I'll be pulling tank off next and checking valves. Thanks to all XJ gurus for all tips and tricks and advice. And a big thanks to Chacal for the great parts and service. All parts fit no problem. Sucks waiting for customs to clear parts though.

12. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Replaced the stock pet cock with a NOS replacement one I got for $68 dollars from a dealer. Replaced the carb vacuum caps with new ones and clips.

13. hendo68

hendo68 Member

tighten exhuast bolts at cylinder head

14. NigeW

NigeW Member

Ridden it 336 miles in the last five days (two runs) - more than I've put on it in the whole preceding 10 months. Blame having too many bikes and not much decent weather over her.

Attached Files:

15. NigeW

NigeW Member

And another 60 miles this morning - this time heading North...

Attached Files:

16. hogfiddles

Got the 900rk out of winter slumber, took her for a nice ride. Woke up the 700 two weeks ago. May break out the 750 Midnight Maxim later this afternoon.

Dave F

17. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Gee Dave, I guess you really like the 900 Secas! Can't fault you for that as I would love to have one myself. My project is advancing at a glacial pace, have the top end dis-assembled, started removing the rusty studs. I'm going to have the replacement studs Chrome plated and the cylinder block painted a nice dark black. It should be an interesting effect; then I'll have the valve cover wrinkle coated and the lettering and stripes polished, and to top it off...Chrome plating for the 8 outside valve cover bolts.

18. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

Today we get Maxim clean. Lotsa road dirt as I get to ride it almost all year. Fast & fun bike.

19. NigeW

NigeW Member

Hey hogfiddles. I should think that with that little lot you do something to a Yamaha EVERY day.

20. hogfiddles

Yes, I do like the 900rk. The reason that I have that many (and it's only 3)-----one of them is the lowest serial number currently recorded and verified.....17th one built, the second one I got is so that I can ride that one more, and keep my nice one for perfect days only. The third is going to be an attempt at a 'perfect' bike. As I am collecting parts, I hope to put the 'perfect' parts on one bike, and I have some plans for modifying it a bit, as well. Will I keep those forever? Oh, who knows. The first one? Probably will never let it go, but........ya never know. I can't keep all of them forever.......close to it, though ;)

Ok, enough of that........what did I do to my Yamaha today? I woke the XJ750 Midnight Maxim from it's slumber. I backed it out in the driveway, and it started on the first push of the button....let it settle into a nice idle for a bit, and then SWMBO and I took it for about a 15 mi ride.

Dave F