1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starting Problem, Maybe Sprag Clutch?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by mbowenrke, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

Hello everyone... I am new to the group. I just purchased a 1981 Maxim 550 and the bike was running great. The carb was recently worked on and synched and the valves were checked and everything seemed fine. I have put about 100 miles on it since buying it and today I rode it to work and back (about 7 miles each way), stopped at 7 Eleven near my house and shut the bike off. I was only in the store a couple of minutes and when I tried to leave, the bike wouldn't start. The starter spins but the engine doesn't turn over. I pushed it home, cursing all the way, and began trying to troubleshoot. I work on cars some but have never worked on a bike. Given my symptoms, normally on a car or truck I might have a bad starter or a broken timing chain. Either the bendix gear isn't engaging or the chain or belt is broke and thus the engine doesn't turn over. In this case, I assume the setup is a bit different. I removed the starter and it visually seems fine. I energized it and it spins with no problem. The gear just inside the housing where the starter fits was initially a bit loose. Could there be other problems than the starter? What should be my next move? I am assuming something is broken or maybe just loose but I am still getting to know this bike and would like to avoid any unneeded steps. The starter spins just fine and the bike will start when bumped. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.

2. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Step one before ANYTHING else...what is the state of your battery? Is it 100%? and I mean 100% Welcome to the circus by the way

3. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

Yep... 12.51 volts

4. skoster

skoster Member

Did you do an oil change and use either a non-motorcycle specific oil or a synthetic oil?

That can give these symptoms. Do a change to non-synthetic motorcycle oil and see if it clears up would be my first step after checking the battery.

5. pbjman

pbjman Member

Get your battery fully charged and then take it to Autozone and have it load tested, then you will know if it is 100%. Might not be your problem anyway, I haven't had starter issues yet.
    If your bike is running well and was already warmed up, it might have been easy to push-start it!

6. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

The oil was changed not long before I got the bike with motorcycle oil. (conventional, not syn.) The battery is definitely not the problem, nor is the starter. Something has failed between the starter and motor. I bump started it this morning and was going to ride it to work to change the oil and hoped that would help. I got about a mile down the road and was hearing some clanking sounds in first and seccond gear when downshifting coming to a stop. I took it back home and parked it. I guess I'll have to split the cases and see whats going on in there because something has broken or come loose. Anyone with ideas, suggestions, etc, please share them. I really appreciate everyones time!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Don't split the cases (yet.)

The first place to look would be in the clutch housing.

8. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

I'm going to start with the clutch housing but do you think that could reveal the problem with starting? Everything I have read leads to the sprag clutch or the gear between that and the starter. And it would seem that the only right way to repair that is to split the cases. I will update after I pull the clutch cover.

9. bigfitz52

You are correct, IF the problem turns out to be the sprag clutch.

If it does, it will be the first time I've heard of that failure on a 550.

While it is always a possibility, I'm simply suggesting based on historical evidence that you might want to exhaust all the other possibilities first. And poorly cared-for clutches have been known to break apart in some interesting ways; THAT one we have seen numerous times.

Work your way from the easiest possible solution toward the most drastic. Start with the clutch; that's what the starter engages to spin the transmission.

10. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

I pulled the clutch cover and there is no evidence of damage. No broken metal, shavings, etc. Should I pull the clutch? How do I go about it? There are I think 5 bolts in the face of it and a loose shaft in the center with grooves on one side. The bolts have springs behind them and I assume they hold the clutch plates together. What would be your next move? Thanks again for your time

11. bigfitz52

No problem.

Yes, I would disassemble the clutch, but leave the hub and basket in place; then shield the area with a rag (oil fling) and spin the starter which should spin the clutch basket. (Be sure to unplug the TCI we don't want the bike to start.)

Doing that should help diagnose the issue.

Clutch: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=29541.html

12. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

Clutch removed... I removed the hub and basket before reading this. When I slid them off, a curved metal "arm" fell from the top behind them. Not sure what that is or where exactly it fell from. The motor is currently in my basement with no starter, carbs, etc attached so its not gonna start. I can try turning the gear that the starter contacts to see if anything happens on the clutch side. One other point to make that I may not have said earlier... When I originally started looking into this problem, I removed the starter to see if it had any damage and there was none. But when I looked through the case at the gear the starter contacts, it was loose. I could move it with my hand. When I touched it, it moved slightly down and to the left and became lodged in place and I was unable to wiggle it anymore. Does that tell you anything? I just assumed that meant there was something loose or broken deeper inside.

13. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

I found the problem!! when I pulled the clutch assembly out, the little arm that fell used to have 2 allen head screws in it. They came out which allowed the bracket or arm to fall out of place. This is what holds a pin in which centers the gear that the starter spins. Sorry I don't know the proper name for all these parts. I fished out 1 of the screws from the oil pan and I will probably have to pull it to find the other one. I'm just so excited thats all it was and I don't have to split the cases or spend a ton of money! All I should need is some locktite. Going forward I do need a little more help. When removing the clutch, I did spin the clutch shaft. Did that affect anything else like timing that needs to be reset. Maybe a stupid question but I want to be sure I don't need someone else to correct that before I put it all back together and back on the bike. Thanks again!

14. bigfitz52

There's no "timing" involved, you're good there.

And no need to split the cases after all.

I would really like to know what "arm" you're talking about, though. This is a 550, right? Chain driven?

Be sure to PRE-READ my clutch article I posted the link to; there are some "peculiarities" to assembling the clutch that you'll need to pay attention to.

15. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

Yes, it is a 550 and chain driven. When the starter goes in, it spins an idler gear? Whatever you call that gear, it is centered and held in place by a pin. This pin is visible when the clutch is removed. It is near the top left of the case and is about 4 inches long or so and probably around 1/4 to 1/2 inche diameter. In the upper right hand corner is a gear that is connected to the generator. Just below that are two holes about 3 inches apart. This "arm" bolts up there and is there for the sole purpose of holding that pin in place I guess. Point is, the screws came out, arm fell down, pin receded back toward the clutch letting the gear on the starter side slide down just enough to no longer be in contact with the starter gear. Sorry again, I don't konw what all the right names are but thats as descriptive as I can be. I can show a picture of it if I can figure out how to upload them to here.

16. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

I will review your thread about the clutch. Thank you very much

17. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

So I fished both the fallen screws out of the oil pan without removing it. Everything is back together, just gotta go get a torque wrench tomorrow so I can torque the pressure plate bolts. Then the cover's goin back on and this baby's ready to put back on the frame. Cross my fingers that everything will be fine. I'm pretty confident that it will be but I will be needing to rebuild the clutch soon as I saw some wear that I would like to correct. However that is not my main concern right now as the bike was running and shifting fine. When I do, I guess I'll contact Len. Who is Len and how do I order parts? Is there a website? Sorry, I've just been so back and forth between the motor and the computer and just paying attention to the technical details that I haven't had any time to search for parts. Anyways, here is a link to some pics of this ordeal. This one is the "arm" or bracket or whatever you call it that I was talking about... http://www.4shared.com/photo/oW3M7ljQ/2 ... 7_486.html It is the black, half mooned shaped bracket with two screws in it just below the gear that is on the generator shaft at the top right

18. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

19. bigfitz52

How many miles on this bike? It's gonna need more than a clutch, trust me.

The Len you are referring to is forum member chacal, proprietor of XJ4Ever, our resident parts source.

Click the logo/link in the site banner at upper right, PM member chacal, or send an email to "info AT XJ4Ever DOT com."

Carb cleaning: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html

Mikuni breakdown: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=31061.html

Valve clearance adjustment: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14827.html

20. mbowenrke

mbowenrke New Member

The original odometer was broken and replaced buy the guy I bought it from. It reads just under 17,000 mi. No idea how many miles were put on it since it broke. The bike was running great until the starter issue. The carb was recently worked on and a new jet installed, valve clearence checked, etc. All were ok. Now another problem... I had everything back together and went and bought a torque wrench to finish the clutch up and bammm! The first clutch bolt I torqued snapped. WHY?? I don't know, could have been a faulty torque wrench (even though its brand new) or just a 31 year old bolt. Anyway now I'm screwed! I was planning on redoing the clutch later once I got passed this starter problem but not right now since the bike was shifting fine. Now I guess I'll have to since there's 3/4's of a screw stuck in the boss.