1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Float levels and lowered forks

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by sarcasmkillsme, May 11, 2012.

1. sarcasmkillsme

sarcasmkillsme New Member

At what point would lowering the front end/forks effect the factory float height measurements? From what i understand float levels are set with the carbs level but when the front of the bike is lowered the fuel level will be more and more off do to the angle of the bike. Has anyone had experience with this? My forks are lowered maybe around 2 inches and it seems the factory float height settings no longer work for me.

2. FJ111200

FJ111200 Active Member

Well that's a new one on me.
    So what happens to all our bikes when we are say going up or down the Alps or some other big mountain range? Nothing as far as i can tell.
    Maybe your floats need adjusting up as a matter of course?

3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

None...at least not on the main jets. The mains are in the center of the float bowl, and assuming that the mean float height doesn't change (i.e. floats stop the flow at the same mean float height), it should still be the same (or very close) in the center.

However, the pilot and enrichment circuit might be affected. I need to make some tweaks to my sync and mixture, but I'm a little rich at idle, and it definitely idles a little loapier when sitting at a light pointed down hill, than when sitting at a light point up hill (the pilot is in front).

4. sarcasmkillsme

I'll recheck the fuel levels again. On a possibly related note...sometimes when braking(right as I come to a complete stop and the weight shifts and the front end dives a bit) i notice the idle will drop. Rarely I've had the bike shut off under these conditions. Could this be related to float level? And if so, was the fuel level too high or low?

5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

That could be your clutch not properly disengaging until you are almost at a complete stop, due to an improperly adjusted clutch cable, or notching on the clutch basket. The engine rpm gets dragged below idle by the transmission, until the stiction is overcome, at which point your engine returns to idle.

It also could be that your mixture is too rich, on the hair's edge of bogging down. The extra slosh towards the pilot jet pushes it over that edge. My bike will do this when I'm running on choke, pulling out of my driveway, and I have to brake suddenly. The engine dies because there's too much fuel.

Or that your cables aren't run properly, so your choke gets pulled.

If you have the proper slack in your throttle cable (so the idle screw sets the idle, not a tought throttle cable), you could slow the idle is by affecting the mixture.

So check your float level, and set to spec. Then adjust your pilot mixture. Check cables to make sure they are run properly, don't bind from lock to lock, and have the proper slack at the levers. Check/adjust your clutch cable, and possible rebuild clutch. Do you have any intake/exhaust mods on the bike?

6. sarcasmkillsme

Clutch is adjusted well and the clutch has been rebuilt. That isn't it. K&N drop in filter and aftermarket mufflers with baffles. I have upsized jets also. I think i need to go back over the fuel levels and maybe play with jet sizes again. I know i'm rich so I guess I'll start there. My hobby = tuning my xj550....