1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Got it!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eastside, May 11, 2012.

1. eastside

eastside New Member

After surviving many months of insurmountable troubles getting my 650 Seca running well, I had uncovered a small detail that has been overlooked. I had done just about every tuning adjustment and replacement possible according to this forum's advice and my Haynes manual. The trouble was with the Haynes manual all along as I just uncovered in 'XJ4ever' catalog. It seems Mr Haynes suffers from dyslexia at times and called out the placement of the air jet under the carb diaphragm backwards.

I switched em back (50 main, 195 pilot) to the correct positions, fiddled with the mixture screws and idle for a few minutes and bingo. Idles, runs and goes. Thanks for the help, keep an eye out for other's similar issues and have this one in your hip pocket if all else fails.

2. elGato

elGato Member

Haha, wow! It's funny how they can publish manuals for vehicles and they be wrong! I've noticed a few discrepancies in mine, and for other vehicles too! Good luck on the bike! :) Trying to get mine on the road too! Just need to rebuild the calipers, but the part is of of stock! :(

Now, it's a waiting game!

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Out of stock? XJ4Ever?

4. eastside

eastside New Member

Out of stock? Nothing was needed to purchase. Information learned from a warning in the XJ4ever catalogue that the air jets are not correctly located in the Haynes manual. Too bad for me that the air jet locations were missed by all as I was working through my running problems, perhaps when I mentioned air jet locations, it wasn't considered a viable issue at the time. All's well now however, the bike runs as it should.

thx.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Be aware that the Haynes has the valve clearances for your bike listed incorrectly as well.

Intakes should be .11~.15mm, just like all the other "airhead" XJs. The Haynes lists .16~.20, the exhaust spec, for both. They're wrong.