1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Mechanical To Electronic Tach

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ck0724, May 2, 2012.

1. ck0724

ck0724 New Member

I have an 81 XJ650 G and want to wire in an electronic Tach.... What wire do i need to splice into?? Thanks in advance!!!!

2. mechanicalmadness

mechanicalmadness Member

Hmm not entirely sure to be honest with you. You may actually have to splice into your ignition wiring. I havent really played with my engine to that point yet but ill be sure to let you know once I get there. But out of curiosity why go that route, and how do you plan on plugging the tach output drive on the head?

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

one of the wires that go from the TCI to the coils

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I'm not sure about which wire to use.....I would think that any of the four would work, though.

As far as the plug on the head where the cable goes in.......if you pull the cable off, assuming the cable is a junk cable (don't damage it if the cable is reallly good, get a junk one for this), cut the cable in two. Slide the threaded collar off of the cable. Now put a dime or similar, appropriately sized metal disk inside the cap and thread it onto the port on the head. Now you won't get dirt and moisture in there.

dave F

5. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

tach and dwell meter hook to the - side of the coil.
    so with the key on and the connectors unplugged one wire to the coil from the TCI will be hot +12v the other wire is the - side that you want.
    what bike is it?