1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hello! New XJ owner...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Sabre, May 16, 2012.

1. Sabre

Sabre Member

Hiya! I'm Shane from Michigan, and I'm an XJ650 owner. I bought one less than a week ago. This is my first bike after a long period of contemplating whether or not to get a motorcycle.

Finding this forum has already paid off! I read about the extremely dangerous rear brake shoe delamination issue here, and thanks to write-ups and pictures here, I just finished removing my rear wheel and brake drum to check my brake shoes. They look perfect, with no hint of delamination at all. Nice to know.

I'm sure I'll learn a ton more here. :D

2. lostboy2

lostboy2 Member

Welcome to the club Shane. There are lots of members here from MI. You might want to put where you live in your signature. Thet might be closer than you think.

3. skillet

skillet Active Member

WELCOME from TN!!!

skillet

4. elGato

elGato Member

They're fun bikes! Welcome and shoot questions away! :)

5. Sabre

Sabre Member

Good call. Location added.

6. 2011rex87

2011rex87 Member

Hey shane im a michigan native, Metro Detroit. How is all in the state's capitol? Welcome to forum.

Welcome to motorcycles. They are like ammo caliber, Everybody has a favorite! Everyone is gunna let you know it too! Make a peace sign down to your left when you pass us other riders 8) lolol

What does your Xj need? I have a front break job ahead of me.. and new paint all around

7. Sabre

Sabre Member

It seems to be in remarkably good condition. I bought it from a man who had it for 13 years and always kept it inside. It needs a rear tire, which I am taking care of tomorrow, and could use a front brake job. It starts perfectly and, thanks to information on this forum, I have adjusted the idle speed so it idles just over 1000rpm off-choke after less than a minute of warm-up.

The front brakes are "squishy". If I pull the lever I can get it almost all the way down to the handle. It still stops in a big hurry, but it seems like there is more brake performance to be had and a firmer feel would be nice. The front rotor has is pretty torn up, having many small grooves in it I can feel with a fingernail.

8. 66Elco

66Elco New Member

You might try replacing the brake fluid and then bleeding the brakes to see if you get a better feel

9. R211007314

R211007314 New Member

I have had several Maxims over my years (4). I always sell them... I picked this one up last year... What a find 5K miles - It is like it was in a mueseum. 1986 Maxim X.. No bike looks as cool as an X. 85-86... Take a look at my photos and tell me what you think... What could I sell it for? blow up the photos and vote on it too!
    http://xjbikes.com/coppermine/displayim ... =8816.html

10. scubaroboto

scubaroboto Member

It was a night and day difference when I replaced the 30 year old rubber lines on mine with new stainless ones from chacal. Now the lever is nice and solid

11. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

Welcome from one State west Sabre! These forums are invaluable to say the least and is a great community. You'll enjoy your XJ a lot and it looks like your doing the right thinks with the mechanical and safety needs.

Also very sweet X R211007314.

12. Sabre

Sabre Member

Gosh, where are my manners? Sorry it took so long for me to post pics of my new ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

14. Sabre

Sabre Member

Even though this bike seems to be in very good condition, I'm slowly going through and doing a few "recommended" things. As mentioned already, the rear tire is going to be new. I have ordered rear brake shoes, just so I can be confident that they won't delaminate.

I'm reading a lot about valve adjustment, and have bookmarked a very good write-up here on the procedure. It seems surprisingly easy, just a bit tedious. This leads me to a question: How do I know when my valves need adjusting? This bike runs perfectly. Will I notice something off about the way it runs when the valves come out of spec, or will there just be some catastrophic thing that happens?

15. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

I believe the recommended service intervals for checking the valves on these bikes is 5000 miles. That doesn't mean they will be out of spec in 5000 miles, but they need to be checked. It's not that difficult of a procedure and needs to be done.

I would make this a high priority unless you absolutely, positively know that the PO had done this and had done it right.

By the time the engine lets you know it's too late. :(

Good luck and ride safe! :D

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Valves were to have been checked initially at 3000 miles and then every 5000 miles thereafter.

The first two or three checks are the most important, as the rate at which they go out of spec tends to diminish as the motor gets some miles on it. The problem is, it was generally just ignored, so you could be approaching disaster and not know it.

The motor won't give you any "outward symptoms" until it's too late; it is a critical service procedure that needs to be done based on mileage intervals. Ignore the valve clearances and you will eventually damage the motor.

17. Sabre

Sabre Member

That's about what I gathered from my forum-reading. I'm not sure the previous owner did this. I read the write-up you did on this, and it doesn't look that hard at all, just a little time-consuming. It's gonna take a lot of discipline to take this thing apart when I really, really wanna ride it so much...

18. R211007314

R211007314 New Member

Thanks biggs500 for the Props!