1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

putting a 750 or 900 into a 650 seca?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by brenton, Apr 6, 2006.

1. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

I've got a 750 Seca engine in a 650 Seca frame. It fits w/o any problems, and is a nice combination.
    There were a few minor things with the tach and oil level sender, but that was it. The 650 CDI box is physically the same, but may have an advance curve that's different. I don't know for sure, but they have different p#s, and I'm using the 750 box.

I was using the 650 airbox, but just got through reinstalling the 750's original airbox and filter. The exhaust is stock 650 Seca.

The 750 YICS engine weighs about 5# less than the non-YICS 650's. :D

An XJ 900 will also fit...I've measured :roll: You may need to pull the 900 engine to get the valve cover off, and I have a feeling that the petcock will be very close to the valve cover...but it should bolt right up. All the mounting points for the three XJ engine sizes are the same.

A 900 in a 650 frame is do-able, but you'd need to use pod air filters, and might have to tweak the exhaust pickup points a bit.

2. smokamoto40

smokamoto40 Member

I've owned 2 Seca 650s & now a 750. I like the styling of the 650 better, but after owning a 750 it's look has grown on me. As far as the power, I was looking for more when shopping for a 750. For me it is just that bit more for acceleration on the freeways (passing), larger brakes, more comfortable seat, more stable (more weight). Don't care too much for the instrument panel, prefer old school. I've put on tires, steel brake lines, different handlebars, MAC 4-1, jetted the carbs and that's it, pretty happy with it. I too had considered putting a 750 into my last 650, but glad I went for the whole bike (plus just a motor wasn't around at the time, bike was).

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The 900 engine "Goes-in" ... all the Motor Mounts are the same ... the 750 and 900 share the same Bottom End.

You do have to do some Mods to get a fuel tank on.
    The 750 Maxim tank won't fit-in the horse-shoes and set down without the under-tank seam hitting the Cam Cover.

The angle was pretty severe. We didn't measure it. With the rubber piece that fits on the frame where the tank bolts-on too ... off ... we had a Stanley Rubber Sanding Block on it's side ... propping things up while tried to dream-up some possible way to keep it looking like a Stock-750.

Complicating matters for the Budget-Minded "Do-it-Yourselfer's"

The Exhaust system needed to "Do the trick" and keep the bike quiet enough to hear yourself think, retain the center stand and allow for easy filter access ... is MOTAD's 4 into 1 from Great Britain. HUGE money.

I haven't totally given-up on the idea; yet. I'm rebuilding the 900 mil real slow. Porting, polishing ... playing with it.

If the parts look pretty enough after I have it Media Blasted ... I'm doing it.
    I'm going to go to Night School to learn how to TIG Weld.

4. KanesSon

KanesSon Member

Oh man, do you care to part with that 750? I could live without a Tach... 8O

5. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

There are stock Yamaha electric tachs that will work.

6. Shaft1980

Shaft1980 New Member

damn sounds like a lot of work.. i'll keep the 750 the way it is..

whats the quickest and cheapest way to get a lil more snot out of it?

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

If you shop at "Big & Tall" ... and, you ain't Tall ... you can bump-up to the next Main Jet.

It's not really a "Performance" Mod ... It just adds a little Power-on at the expense of economy ... to help keep you from needing higher rev's ... for today's Interstate Cruise-o-rama's ... when everybody is doing at least 80 and sometimes close to 90 ... happens a lot, out here, near Boston.

8. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

A bigger engine is the cheapest/quickest way to do it.

You can find a running 750 Seca for well under $500 if it's been crashed or neglected. Buy the entire bike, and you'll have all of the bits needed to make the conversion, except for a tach.

I paid $200 for a 750 a few years ago, and rode it home. I haven't had a tach since putting the bigger engine in, and really don't miss it.

It's not really all that much work: the engine R&R could all be done in a weekend, with the next weekend spent going through the carbs.

If you use the 650's original pipes and airbox with the 750's carbs, the jetting will be peachy if left stock.

9. BMW2002maniac

BMW2002maniac New Member

From which bike do you get the tach?

10. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

If you have the round-body instruments, an electric XV920RH tach will drop in. It'll have a lower indicated redline, but otherwise it's the same externally. You'll have to make a couple of electrical adaptors to install it, but the tach itself drops right in, and the wiring is long enough to get into the headlight bucket.

An XS1100 tach will also work (I've got one to put in), and it's the same appearance as the XV tach, except the indicated redline is at 8500 rpm.

There are probably others that will work, and there's an article on the XJ CD that goes into this adaptation in more detail.

I haven't had a tach in mine since swapping engines last year, and may not get around to it for a while- the 750 is torquey enough that I haven't missed it yet.

11. seca6750

seca6750 New Member

The 750 will fit because thats what is in my Seca 650. You would have to get an appropriate electrical tach if you want a tach. I did'nt bother. I may at some point. Right now I'm looking to buy a Seca 900. Not to put in my 650 but to ride. If you're looking to get a 900 motor the local cycle salvage place near me has one but they want something a lot plus a core charge. I'd rather spend the money on a running bike.