1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

650 engine mods

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Joel07, Jan 11, 2006.

1. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

Joel07 glad i read all the posts on here this time my current bike (82maxim 750) has 900cam's in it and is jetted up all though at about 65 if i pull the throttel all the way back the bike starts to flud i think the jet's that were put in it are 2 big all though i dont know what theay are and dont want to tear it all the way down i cyfan through all the paperwork i got witht he bike when i get it this week and try to give you some info about what parts were put on mine if any one dose know i would also like to know how big you can bore a 750 or what are the biggest jug's i can put on their with my head assembly.

I my self am looking at turbocharging the bike to get the added air needed for the jet up and some chrome turnout's id like to see what info you have found maby we can help each outher out with specs or ever one can relly help with specs as like you joel07 i have the time and tool's and knolage to do every thing just not spec's on what is theroticly possible

2. Joel07

Joel07 Member

Problem with turbocharging is to do it properly, you really need a set of sealed carbs, like what come on the Seca Turbo, or do a draw through setup, which has it's own unique problems. If you're seriously thinking about going turbo, I would look get "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes, or "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. "Turbochargers" has a little bit more info on carb'd turbo setups since it was written in the '80's, and actually has a short chapter on turbocharging motorcycles. There was also a book I saw in the Dennis Kirk catalog about turbocharged/supercharged/nitroused bikes, but can't remember the exact name of it, and I've never read it.

Anyway, the simplest and cleanest method of turboing this bike IMO, would be to get the complete setup off of a Seca Turbo. Love the way they routed everything to make it look nice and clean, can't even really tell the bike is turbo'd by looking at it. There was a complete turbo setup on ebay last week, it must have ended though. It was up to almost $200 when I saw it.

3. iwasatoad

iwasatoad Member

ya i talked to a guy in lacross that put nitrous turbo's and so froth on bikes and he said the only real problem is getting a pressurized carb or rebuilding the one that's on the bike he said easyest way would be to get the hole seca turbo carb setup or he said if i wanted to be the first or among the few to fule inject it and he gave me some stuff to read and fule injecting the bike would be nice but would envaluve a lot of work and some chunk of change

so i have decided to find a set of carbs for the bike and rebuild them in my spare time. working on getting a exaust manifold for the bike and the parts needed but short on monney for now so just getting info

im still with you joel07 i could go buy a really fast crochrocket for around $2k or i could stick about 800 into this one and have a more comfeterbil ride and have one heck of a sleaper and this way i can have somting to do in free time and somting to take to a bike show

4. seca6750

seca6750 New Member

I bought my seca 650 with the 750 motor all ready in it. I'm actually not all that impressed with it's performance and am probably going to put the stock 650 back into it(it came with the bike). The first Seca 650 I had seemed as fast if not faster....but that could be my alzheimers kicking in. I know I am not impressed with my 1/4 mile et's at Infineon with it. It is extremely consistent though; rareley deviates more than .05 seconds all night.

5. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I guess some just don't get it. I understand completely. Anyone can go out and buy stuff and bolt it together (if you have the money) And then there's some of us who'd rather make stuff work for us. I think your alot like me in that you get the satisfaction out of making/fabricating things and making the necessary changes that work for you. I was always one who could never leave things as they are. I have alot of respect for those who insist on doing things like you do. Building engines is a great hobby and I'm all for it.
    I hope your plan works out for you. It looks to me like your doing your homework and I'm sure you'll figure it out.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The only money I have to put into these bikes of mine ... gets exchanged for the gasoline needed to make them go.

Her Majesty is watching me like a Raptor needing a fresh kill to nourish a nest full of fledglings.

Like the Rainbow Trout that rises to investigate the disturbance of the streams surface tension, hoping for an insect ... unaware of the Bald Eagle soaring just above the trees; swim out from the shadows and become airborne in one fell swoop!

7. 7kidsathome

7kidsathome New Member

Okay Guys/Girls
    I have owned 4 Turbo Bikes over the past 24 yrs. (3) Seca and (1) GPZ 750. I know that there is mad power in the 650 w/just a few mods such as an open air filter directly installed on the turbo. The next is a slip on or an aftermarket/stock exhaust from a later model motorocyle. This will enhance the the turbos spool capability. The best/ most rewarding mod is a bigger turbo. The T3 is the smallest turbo ever installed on a factory engine. (Car or Cycle) A T3/T4 Hybrid or a GT25/28 would prove satisfactorily with some mods. (i.e. Header, flange, intercooler.....) The overall performance of our "XJ's" is the way they are put together. Not everyone has access to a SECA 900 to build into a turbo beast. So most of us need to "Run what ya brung"! If a boost controller or BOV helps by all means spend the money. I will say this. The stock Turbo 650 will make 90+hp after 6k rpm. If you put on a direct intake air filter and block off all vacuum lines and disconect the waste gate valve, the stockk turbo will hit 15 psi all day long. This in turn hits the surge box wich has a 15psi BOV built in. My assessment is to add a BOV that will blow at 18+ and then you will defenitely make power from there. The Seca Turbo is a sweet machine with room to grow. It is capable of 200+ rwhp if built right. Lets see who does what from here on out.

8. Injuhneer

Injuhneer Member

My Turbo makes ~94rwhp @ 7800 rpm @ 17psi. It is running my own BOV, a working wastegate, an upgraded compressor wheel. I have a water injection system in the works.

And a 900 donor motor sitting at Rick's house (the shipping frame is almost ready Rick !!) as well as the bits for a Megasquirt EFI in the works.

Time is certainly at a premium with the other project going but eventually I'll stop modifying and call it good. :)

9. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

200+ rear wheel HP out of a 25 year old shaft drive 650?

That ain't gonna happen....

10. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

You have that right.

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

For those that have the itch, that only a turbo parts bike can scratch,
    mine is for sale. PM me.

12. desertdog

desertdog New Member

L&L Cycle in Dallas has a 650 turbo bike they would really like to get rid of... It looks like it is all there too...