1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

RickCo Pops Max Wheelie!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by RickCoMatic, Sep 22, 2006.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Not an easy thing to do for a guy who shops at "Big and Tall" ... and, ain't tall!

Today, I got stuck behind an 18-wheeler loaded with a huge, tracked, back-hoe style, earth-moving machine. The truck was crawling down a strip of two-lane blacktop with double-solid yellow lines stretching for as far as the eye could see.

My mirrors showed me a line-up of cars that went out-of-sight. Then, the guy driving the truck moves it over to the right a hair; so I can see that there's a stretch of broken line coming before we start up a small grade.

I figure to make a move just before the line change and give everybody behind me a shot at passing this behemoth; too!

I dropped her all the way down into first and got ready to pounce. I got all psyched-up to do a rolling start on a blazing quarter mile. I was talking to myself in "Play-by-play."

"Massey's poised to make his move. We're going to see if the old man still has his drag strip timing after a lay-off from his early eighty's racing days.
    This will be a big test for man and machine. I doubt this recent switch from his powerful Seca 900 to this more cruiserish (I made-up that word) 750 has allowed him the familiarity with the 750's performance to post a good time on his inaugural run."

He we go. I went from a throatie 38-hundred rev's to full open and made my break. The front wheel lost contact with the pavement for a little less time than it takes to say "Wheelie."

However, in view of the indisputable fact that the front wheel did -- in fact, rise off the pavement, albeit "briefly", ... technically -- I did a wheelie!

Check it off on my "Been there - done that" list!

2. Thor

Thor Member

I have yet to try a wheelie..and i think i'll keep it that way for now...expecially if i have to experince it in the way you came about it 8O

3. Jazzmoose

Jazzmoose Member

I did a wheelie the first time I ever got on a bike when I was 17. And of course, slid right off the seat. Never again!!

4. RickCoMatic

I didn't mean to do it ... The Max just surprised with the response to WOT. I don't want to wheelie; either. But, on the other hand ... I'll take power.

I've been running Super. I'm taking the insurance. Haven't looked at the plugs yet. I'll be taking a peek during the Sunday AM Car Shows.

I also plan to get the value for Pilot-OUT using the ColorTune Plug. Then, people will have a good idea how far beyond Factory the

5. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

Nice wheelies are fun as long as you can set it down soft enough not to bust some fork seals..Which is easier said than done..

6. carsonschaos

carsonschaos Member

When I was young and the Maxin was young, I tried the wheely thing
    all the time.
    My maxim seemed very front heavy.
    I would rather spin the rear than lift the front.
    And when I did get the front up, it always came down hard.
    Good thing I'm over that.
    Unlike me, the bike has aged.

7. RickCoMatic

The front wheel only came off the ground ... just enough to say so.

But, I'm counting it as a Wheelie; because I never did one before.

8. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

Hey if the front came up then by god you did a wheelie...

9. yamamax

yamamax Member

I had a similar experience with my first "wheelie". It was unintentional, and didn't last long, but I felt pretty cool about it.......and I beat the Camaro! I'd definitely say that it should stay on your "been there, done that" list.

10. Foximus

Foximus Member

ive done it a couple times on mine... but now the clutch isnt up to it anymore.

11. beardking

beardking Member

I haven't done one on my Maxim (and don't really plan to), but I did one back when I was trying to get my brother to teach me to ride. They aren't very fun when they are unintentional and end with your planted firmly in the fence across the street. ;-)

12. Gegan

Gegan New Member

Nice story....LOL

13. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

I snapped this pic of some guy in MA passing a truck, this pic was taken in June, Could this be Rick????

I thought you said it only came a couple of hairs of the groung??? your too modest Rick................lol

Attached Files:

14. xjchoppa

xjchoppa Member

damn rick nice one...

15. seca6750

seca6750 New Member

My Seca 650/750 will lift the front tire if I get rolling a little bit then quickly pull clutch, rev motor and dump clutch. also sometimes a hard launch at Infineon will lift the front tire a little bit. Unlike the crotch rockets I don't have to lift...it will not rise far because of the shaft and will come down nicely on its own.

16. XJdude

XJdude Member

The only bike i've done a wheelie on was a Katana, and on the same bike i've jumpes a car, that was in my teens, and cost about $3000.00.

17. Markj

Markj Member

I'll one wheel it occasionally....understand this pic is probably 20+ yrs old.. :lol:

[​IMG]

18. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

Most bikes that have a drive shaft, are harder to dowheelies with because of the shaft-jacking. If you notice some of the earlier models of bikes with driveshafts would actually lift the back of the bike up when you crack the throttle, which in turn makes it more difficult to pop a wheely.
    The bikes with chain drive do it effortlessly compared to our shaftdrive models, like the 650 - 750 Seca/Maxims.

19. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    PainterD. There are a number of other factors too. The weight on the bike is pretty high, and the power is relatively low. If you look at the hp curve it is pretty gentle with no major peaks.

The CBR is ~100 lbs lighter, much peakier hp, another nearly 30hp - plus as you mentioned the shaft effect.

The CBR will power wheelie in low gears, but the way most sportbikers wheelie is actually on the clutch anyhow - it's quote safer /quote to do it as you have better control over how much power is used, and can control loft more easily. I clutched the cbr up once to find out - and realized I'm not really the stunter type.

20. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

I agree. The bottom line is power-to-weight ratio = performance with any bike. I like the fact that my XJ750 does not lift the front end off easily. I've seen some stupid accidents because the rider wasn't ready when he unleashed the power and dumped it. When I wanna GO, I don't want to worry about it coming over on me. I don't feel the need to do stunts like when I owned dirt bikes I guess.