1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Recommended repair manual for 82 XJ650

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dranas, May 19, 2012.

1. dranas

dranas New Member

I have an 82 xj650 maxim and i have to tear the motor apart to fix the starter clutch. What book or books would you recommend I get to guide me through this.

2. Kwiski

Kwiski Member

I have an 82 XJ 650 also. I got the Haynes volume. It works for me except Now I put a seca 900 motor into the 650 slot. So now I had gotten a CD off-line for the 900 so I could get its specs & be able to transpose any differences in electrical wiring. Its fast & gets about 40 MPG. Not too bad for a 82 bike carrying a 200 LB fatman.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would recommend a factory book over the Haynes if you're splitting the cases. Personally, I find that having both the Haynes and the factory books is the best practice.

That being said, how sure are you of your diagnosis? Actual starter clutch failure is rare (yes it does happen but it's rare) whereas inadvertently using the wrong oil happens much more frequently.

You're not running a synthetic or automotive oil are you?

4. dranas

dranas New Member

No im using regular motorcycle oil. Took it to the shop. they said its either the clutch, or gears. I will find out more once i crack it open.

5. SuperSparr

SuperSparr New Member

6. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Uhg, can of worms opened again... :(