1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj650 rear brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jbounds, May 24, 2012.

1. jbounds

jbounds Member

Hey all, well seeing as my bike is still down I figured this weekend I would tear apart the rear brake and check for delamination of the shoes. Well my repair manual is at the shop with the guy who is doing the forks. Anyways I was just wondering if anyone had a breakdown of how to remove everything or if was just easy enough to tear it apart by sight. I am very mechanically inclined so that's not an issue. I just usually work on cars not bikes. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. 82maxim

82maxim New Member

It's pretty easy just like drum brakes on a car, simple as it looks... sometime it's a pain to slide the rear rim out of the hub so make sure you have the bike pretty well secure if you have to "yank" a few time's on the rear rim

3. jbounds

jbounds Member

Ok no problem right now its ratchet strapped to my fench but sitting on the rear tire lol...ill just use some more and make it so its balanced

4. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Is a fench similar to a bench or is it a special device used in Troy NY?

5. jbounds

jbounds Member

Lmao gotta love smart phones. Anyways to correct it its a fence lol * checks for spelling mistakes* but yea here in troy gotta do what you gotta do lol

6. jbounds

jbounds Member

One more question guys....the drivetrain. Is there a special way to take it off and get the rear wheel out? And what type of fluid do I put back in it?

7. pbjman

pbjman Member

You don't have to remove the final drive unit to get the rear wheel off, you should be able to work & wiggle it free. It will not release it's oil but you may want to lube the spline teeth inside the wheel when it is off. It's fairly intuitive, once you get started. Don't forget to release the pinch bolts. I took pictures close up before I took mine off in case I couldn't remember exactly how things went. Note the order of spacers and washers, etc.
    Oil in the drive unit is hyphoid gear oil 80w/90.

8. ken007

ken007 Member

and do the pinchbolt up after you have torqued you axle/spline up to specs,

9. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

x2

which is 72 ft lbs if i recall correctly. not positive though.

10. jbounds

jbounds Member

ok thanks for the tip Im deff. gonna try it this weekend and I think because I will have the time ill change the oil in the final drive. I know its 80w90 but do you know how much? Sorry for all the specific questions, but I do have a manual its just with the guy doing my forks right now so he has the specs. and to lube the spline teeth...is that just wheel bearing lube?

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ground-hugger..... a "FENCH" is a special tool that we use here in NY. Actually, it's only available in NY and only people who live in NY have ever been trained in it's useage. For a quite a long time after it was invented, it wasn't even known or even available outside of the state. For people who are tool history buffs, there was even a short period of time when fenches were not allowed to be sold out-of-state, or even transported across state lines. A short-lived proposal, which was soundly voted down, was to even ban the mention of the tool to non-new yorkers. Many of us have tried to keep it a secret anyway. I'm surprised jbounds brought it up. I guess the secret is definitely out now!

I Personally don't see what the big deal is....its a simple tool, but it can be a real FITCH to work with.

Dave F

12. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

^^^^ HAHAHA! Dave, you are crazy.....