1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Left turn signals work, right do not

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by kphenix, May 26, 2012.

1. kphenix

kphenix New Member

I have a 82 650 maxim. The left turn signals work but the right side do not. I have checked fuse, replaced both front and rear bulbs. Cleaned the switch. More frustrated now than ever. Any ideas, Thankd

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Do the lights come on and not flash or just no lights?
    Either way I suspect a bad connection in the bulb socket or switch. Since the left work we can say the flasher is good. Make sure they are the correct wattage or the lights will come on and not flash.

3. kphenix

kphenix New Member

the left ones come on and work and blink they are supposed to. The right ones dont come on at all. I replaced both bulbs with the same that were in the signals to begin with. They worked fine three days ago.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

More than likely a loose wire, and more than likely in the headlight shell where the signal system plugs into ground.

Check the "gang" connectors where multiple black wires plug into the same connector, those are the turn signal circuit ground connections.

You might also have a loose or bad connection at the flasher relay or the cancelling unit. The flasher relay is located up underneath the coils and the cancelling unit is the oblong rubber-encapsulated relay back above the carbs hanging between the frame rails.

5. mirco

mirco Member

Sockets go bad. They get corroded and the wires get brittle and cracekd and can give you intermittent issues. If you ceck the wiring in the head ligth bucket like BF suggests and everything appears in good order, then then I would look to change out the socket.

6. Billt1969

Billt1969 New Member

I had the exact same problem a few days ago except if I turned on the left then went to the right it would work. I took apart the switch, cleaned it out with some qtips, and it started to work again. I think there was some dirt not allowing the switch to go all the way over.