1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I need some help!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by SuperSeca44, May 27, 2012.

1. SuperSeca44

SuperSeca44 New Member

So im still new at workin on my 81 550 seca, and im having some issues......

The guy i bought the bike from removed the stock air filter system and put on cones(like everyone else) and when i got the bike the hose that comes off the top of the crank case/oil case or what ever the real name is(very new mechanic) that points the the location where the stock air filter once sat, leaks oil right in the path of my rear tire, almost killed me.....lol..

So to get to the point.... is oil supposed to come out of there?? and if so, what do i do to keep it from spraying my rear tire???

Go easy on me im still getting the hang of working on it. Thanks :D

2. wwj750

wwj750 Member

That hose is a crankcase breather. In original stock form that hose connected to the airbox, where the vapors would be used up thru the carbs. Now youve got pods & that oil mist/vapor is just blowing out of there unrestricted cuz it has no way of being introduced back into the system.
    So you need to put a breather on there. Its just like a small pod that can collect the oil mist, while allowing the crankcase to breathe, like a one way valve. Some pod kits come with these, but youre gonna have to track one down to stop oil from blowing out on the tire, which really is no laughing matter.
    Check the I.D. size of your hose & try & find a universal breather that will fit. A.S.A.P. Do not just plug the hole. & I'd be scrubbin that tire to remove the oil from it, seriously, we'de like to keep you around as a member here. Good luck.

3. SuperSeca44

SuperSeca44 New Member

Well that makes sense, I will track one down Pronto. Thank you for the advise!! Also, I believe I'm leaking from where the tack cable comes out of the front of the engine? I tightened it up but its still leaking all over my pipes causing it to smoke, but nothing looks loose or broken... Any thoughts?

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Even with the pod on the breather it will mist oil enough to put a nice coat on the rear shock on long rides, my reccommendation is that you run it up somewhere between the center 2 carbs. The longer hose will keep the oil coming out as it will have to travel farther.

6. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Great addition there, Brawler. Thats what I did with mine & some of the mist still gets pulled in thru the carbs. The new avatar is great, BTW!

7. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Thanks, haha. Jack Frost, my favorite christmas movie, lol

8. SuperSeca44

SuperSeca44 New Member

Haha thanks alot guys that is really great information, I will post my progress with those fixes and also with the mods I will doing to the bike soon!!! Ride on!!!!!

9. bassliner007

bassliner007 New Member

I have an airbox from a seca 750 1981. dont know if that will help or not.

10. SuperSeca44

SuperSeca44 New Member

Much appritiated but I like the look of the pods, so i will make them work, i actually put a very small pod on the breather and it seems to help signaficantly. Unfortunately i think when i(like a dumb dumb) plugged the breather for a total running time of 5 minutes, might have blown the valve cover seal because im still gettting fresh oil leaking onto my exhaust:-( It doesnt help that there is about 15 years of burnt oil all over the engine and exhaust, makes it really hard to trace where its coming from!!!!!!! Any tips?