1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

how to reduce warm up time on a XJ650 seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by eastside, May 30, 2012.

1. eastside

eastside New Member

Hi, I am pleased that my Seca is running well, not exactly a fast bike, however nice, solid and good running.

One thing however is that this seems to be a very cold blooded bike. Can anyone offer some advice if there are any tricks or tuning adjustments to reduce the warm up time before the bike is running sweet without using the enricher lever.

Larger jets, different plugs, turning out air screws a bit more...?

Bike is 100% stock, and is tuned and adjusted to spec per original tuning and jet sizes.

2. need2speed3

need2speed3 Member

My ritual has been to start riding on half choke for a few minutes then gradually reduce choke for next 10min. Not ideal for running errands! BTW, that warm-up wasn't reduced with +1 jets and K&N's.

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

If everything is tuned right then warm ups should be around a minute or two. I start mine with choke and after 30 seconds I'm going down the street slowly then the choke comes off. By the time I get to the end of the street(1/4 mile) it idles fine. Gets even better when the engine gets to normal operating temp.

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

I'd say you have a carb issue if you don't think it's fast and it takes more than a minute to start down the road. My enrichment lever is completely closed after about 2 minutes.

5. eastside

eastside New Member

Thanks all. No, I'm certain that the bike is running as well as ever intended, it's just not all that quick by current standards. No need to try to compare an overweight 30 year old motorcycle into something that can keep up with a modern 600, silly waste of time and money to try to make it do so.

2 to 3 minute warm up time does in fact make this Yamaha a not so ideal short trip bike, and if thats as good as it's going to get, then so be it. Don't get me wrong, once warmed up and running, it goes nice and although I haven't done so yet, I would assume a nice little one up sport tourer with some soft bags and a small shield.

I'm just looking to go from 2-3 minute warm ups to 30 second to running without assist warm ups.

6. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

A buddy that owns an R6 and I will have to disagree with that statement, but to each his own.

As for warm up times less than a minute, you'd have to switch to a bike with EFI. Anything carbureted just won't run right when cold without some form of enrichment until it gets up on the mains. An EFI bike doesn't either, you just don't notice it because the computer is constantly adjusting the enrichment.

7. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Start the bike and then put your gear on. It'll be ready to go when you are.

Or, preheat with proheat! :lol: http://www.amazon.com/Proheat-Reservoir ... 77&sr=8-15

8. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Something isn't clean in your carbs-I bet your main is partially clogged. Winter-2-3 minutes warm up, Summer-1-1.5 should do it. You could try running some upper cylinder lube for a few tanks to see if it helps, or...well you know.

Oh and check the numbers: 0-60 and 1/4 mile your Seca isn't (shouldn't be) slower than a modern 600. Just seems like it should be, but they aren't.

9. biggs500

biggs500 Active Member

I'm off the enrichment circuits in about a minute and a half or less.

I will somewhat agree with the 'not the fastest bike' as the Seca's are geared a bit taller (numerically lower) than the Maxims and there is a definite difference between my friend's 750 and my 650. Although my idea of 'quick' became a bit skewed when I got my ZX14 a few years ago. :D