1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Conversion to Hardtail

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Guinnz, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Guinnz

Guinnz New Member

Hey all, I recently picked up an '81 650 from a buddy of mine. I'm slowly piecing it back together how I want, it's going to be bobbed out when I'm done. Going to get it going for this summer but over the winter I'm considering a hard-tail conversion?

Has anyone attempted this before? Wanted to see what everyone thought about it. I've seen pictures of a project that was successful doing it but with this thing being shaft driven...not sure how much of a project my project would become over the winter.

Any all thoughts are welcome, thanks!

2. warchol2

warchol2 Member

i don't know to much about it, but its definitely possible, I've seen plenty of hard tail shafties on here

3. Thud

Thud New Member

It'll be the same as chain driven I believe. My thought would be if it can move up and down with suspension it most definitely will be fine in one position. Just my thought.

You should post a pick of your bobber. I'm interested in new and different looks. Here's mine.

http://xjbikes.com/coppermine/displayim ... ize=1.html

4. edfive55

edfive55 New Member

hey guinnz you can do just like Thud has done with a solid strut. Just use the mounting holes/brackets where your struts/shocks are, the tricky part is getting it the right height for what you want. I'll be doing the same thing here sometime soon on my 1985 yamaha maxim 700. But it doesn't matter whether its shaft or chain/belt driven as long as you get your wheel clearance right.

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Loads of hardtails on the site. Do your searches with the search engine at the top of the forums.

Dave