1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Burly Slammer shocks

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by captluv, Jun 21, 2012.

1. captluv

captluv Member

Hey, all,

I want to put a set of these shocks on my bike but they come in several versions for various years of Harleys. Does anyone have any experience with these and can you tell me which ones would require the least amount of modification?

I already know that I'll have to take the Burly bushings out and replace them (I've heard with Chevy Cavalier sway bar bushings) and maybe grind down the eye on one of the shocks to fit the clutch side mount of the bike.

Not going with the Progressive 412's because they're just a tad too expensive, imo.

Anyway, looking for some input. Thanks.

2. Tegyauto

Tegyauto Member

1991-2003 Sportster Burley slammers are the best. I had them on my 81 maxim (not sure if there is a difference in suspension on the 86). All you need for those are the moog urethane 91-93 front sway bar bushing kit. Just cut the bushings to fit and squeeze them in.

3. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I don't know how much the slammers cost, but the 420s are 220 shipped on Amazon. Should slip right on.

4. detroitdiy

detroitdiy New Member

I put 2004+ sportster 10.5 burly slammers on my maxim 550 no mods necessary bolted right on I'm very happy with the look/ride

5. captluv

captluv Member

Thanks for the input.
    I wound up getting a pair of slammers off Fleabay for $160; cheapest I could find them. Alas, they are for '04 and up Harleys, so we'll see how they fit, may have to do some modding.

I've heard of others using these on their '86's, the only thing that had me worried was having enough clearance between the wheel and fender to not bottom out. I measured the distance between the shock mounts on the bike with the stock shocks off and the wheel pushed all the way to the fender. There was less than the 10.5" the slammers mount at, so I'm thinking it should be fine.

Fingers crossed. I'm planning to ride out to see a friend next weekend, so I hope it all comes together by then.

6. detroitdiy

detroitdiy New Member

Yea can't help you there I don't have a rear fender

7. captluv

captluv Member

Ok, so, shocks arrived today and the problems are mounting, really need some help here so I can get the bike back together.

We got the stock bushings out of the new shock (Burly Slammers, 04-up sportsters), but the Cavalier bushings so touted do not fit at all. They are far too big. I did manage to get the old metric metal sleeves off of the stock shocks and finagle them into the Cavalier bushings, so I've salvaged those, but the Chevy bushings gotta go. So, my question is has anyone successfully found a set of bushings from an auto parts store that they were able to fit into these shocks and fit on their bike.

The bushings would have to be H-shaped with a rim around each side of the shock eyelet in order to give the shock more width. That will take up slack space on the shock mounts on the bike.

Getting a bit frustrated here. From everything I read this should have been a pretty straightforward deal. I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks in advance.

8. captluv

captluv Member

Aight, for all those who come after me, here's how it's done:

Remove your old bushings from your stock, 26 year-old shocks.
    Cut away the ancient rubber bushing to salvage your shock mount sleeve. Clean it up as best as you can (a grinder is necessary for all of this project and helps in this regard, too).
    Get the Cavalier bushings, slap them on a long bolt and hold them in place with a washer and nut but don't tighten, let it spin.
    Turn on your grinder, put in some headphones, hold the nut with one thumb (to prevent the spinning bushing from spinning the nut), place the bushing against the grinder face and try to wear it down evenly, checking periodically to see if it's small enough to fit into the bushing eye.
    The reason you need the headphones is because it takes a long time for each bushing to grind down to a usable size.
    Then, get a large drill bit, the size of your shock mount sleeve and drill the middle of the Cavalier bushing to fit the sleeve into. A drill press definitely makes this easier.
    Lube up your sleeve with dish soap and work it into the newly-widened bushing. Then use the vice/socket method to press your newly-fabbed bushing into the shock eye.
    Whew, it took as long to write this as it does to grind down one bushing.
    Anyway, that's how I'll get it done, burning the midnight oil, if I have to. I did one bushing so far, and it looks like a perfect fit.
    GLTA