1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

82 xj 750 bobber/chopper long awaited pics!!!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by xscmurcielago, Jun 22, 2012.

1. xscmurcielago

xscmurcielago New Member

hey everyone, some might remember me from a few months back when i was stripping and selling everything off of my 100% stock maxim (a lot of it is still for sale btw) and asking a lot of mod questions. well shees been done for a bit now and work has gotten in the way of me showing those that requested the recent pictures.
    Here are a couple for ya to wet your appitite :D.
    ***please note that the bikes extreemly disgusting (shees my daily driver), all of the swirl marks on the tank dissapear after a wash and wax, and almost everything else has a deeper black and the silver/chrome pieces really stand out when shees clean.
    Also i still have to paint the tank, forks and maybe wheels the same color satin as the fenders, side covers and handlebars. Sadly it looks like im gonna have to strip the chrome off the mirror, license bracket and headlamp bezel and paint them too because i live aprox 300 feet from the ocean and it seems anything thats not friggan hard chromed or triple dipped will start to rust, even after applying almost constant heavy coats of wax. (if anyone knows a trick to preventing rust i would appreciate it)
    ok here we go!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FrankBlack

FrankBlack Member

Nice job! Can you tell us a little bit about the rear shocks? Really like the look on them. And how did you do the side covers? Any trouble with the law without turn indicators (or are they just really hidden)?

3. xscmurcielago

xscmurcielago New Member

thank you, the rear shocks are just the factory ones on a 82 maxim (only model i know of that has em) and i love how they keep away from that springer look and make the rear beefier. i molded the side covers with 20 gauge steel, it was actually pretty easy after making a template out of cardboard. almost all of it was molded by hand, just a little rubber mallet here and there and they were good. hit with paint and wrapped with rubber weather stripping with metal inserts that i crushed all the way around and holds like you wouldnt believe. then actually was able to cut and bend the existing side cover mounts to work, only had to fab one of my own. and while i went about 4 months without blinkers (its been 7 total now) ive never had trouble with police. im really aware of my surroundings though, and when their around i use my hand signals. a couple months back however i still bought tiny led blinkers for the front and back and wired em up. but they all just glow amber and dont blink and idk how to fix em and dont have the time right now so i just forgot about it for the time being. :) if you look closely youl see them directly in front of the rear shock mounts on the frame (if your looking at the rear) and where the factory front ones were, just on metal mounts i made. their super bright, they just dont blink :/

4. fuggers

fuggers Member

Looks good, I like the side covers.

FYI, if you replace the blinker relay with an electronic one from any auto parts store they will flash again. You will lose auto cancel but if you are willing to do hand signals i'm sure you're willing to turn off the blinker manually.

5. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    To fix the problem you are having with those LED blinkers. You will need to change out the stock signal stat/relay for an electronic one. Those lights do not pull enough current to trigger the signal stat.

Be forwarned! You will lose the self canceling feature of the turn signals.

Try BlueMagic on that chrome. It leaves a silicone coating on the part that may help with the rust issue.

A deffinate improvement over the first pics. Looks sweet!!!

Ghost

6. edfive55

edfive55 New Member

I know its probably been mentioned a thousand times on the forums but how did you do the exhaust. I mean I know you used regular automotive turn downs but I tried and failed horribly when I did it my self.

7. xscmurcielago

xscmurcielago New Member

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions and compliments guys, a question about the relay though, when I turn on the signals regardless of the side I intend all four illuminate and stay on. Will the flasher fix that too or are all four gonna be flashing?
    I definately gonna try and find some of that blue magic, thanks MiGhost!
    To be honest out of all the things I tried to do the proper way on the bike the exhaust is the only thing I really Afro engineered. I bought the cheepo tips from oriellies for like 8 bucks a piece then tried to find the closest reducing sleeves I could find to adapt to the much smaller bike pipes then cut slits out of the adapter on the bike side and slipped em over the factory exhaust and used heavy hose clamps to clamp em on. It's a completely retarded sounding idea but looks good, was cheap ass all hell and has lasted the better part of 5 months and 2k miles without getting loose or rattling at all. Assuming my schedule lightens up anytime soon and I get time to finish the other stuff on the bike I would like to get rid of the 4x2 collector on the bottom of the bike and run a proper 2x1 pipe on either side with a turn down welded on, or just cut those pipes in that style. But more than likely thatll never happen :)

8. davidpowell5

davidpowell5 New Member

Hey your bike looks sick! How did you mount your tail light/plate?

9. fishhookxj

fishhookxj Member

YOUR BIKE LOOKS REAL GOOD, HOW DID YOU MAKE YOUR SIDE COVERS THOUGH?

10. Ted

Ted Member

Doesn't hurt to read the whole thread before posting, he answered that about 4 posts back! :lol:

11. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

Good job on this! It's a nice clean factory look.

12. JoeyGKedd

JoeyGKedd Member

What tank is that? Flows really nice!

13. Ted

Ted Member

That's the factory '82 750 Maxim tank. I might have one I can part with pretty cheap if you're interested...