1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Jersey Lurker Finally Checking In

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by burton160w, Jun 24, 2012.

1. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Hey, new member from South Jersey. I've been browsing the forums for a few months now, but wanted some help finding some information about my bike. I purchased a 1982 XJ650 Maxim back in November as my first bike. Paid a $1k for it, and it's been money well spent. It's been an absolute blast to ride and learn on, and I've been able to ride straight through winter and into the summer. Definitely appreciate all the information I've found here so far. Off-roading has been my hobby for a while now, and the XJ has given me a great opportunity to get into working on motorcycles. I thought I'd be saving gas with it, but it turns out I'm just riding it a lot more. There are a handful of questions I'd like to find answered.

- What exhaust is this? It's a 4-1, but I can't find if 4-1 came stock or if it's aftermarket.
    - I'm smelling some gas in my oil. The bike has been running fine. Any concerns? (I searched Google, and got a question about foul vaginal odor :lol: )
    - What aftermarket or other bike seats are good matches for the XJ650?

Below is some pictures of my bike. I plan on keeping it pretty stock. It's going to be repainted this summer, removing the chrome definitely. Also plan on reskinning the seat. I'm also looking into pods/jets, but want to get everything else straightened out before taking on that handful.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

last one there is my other money-waster!

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Welcome
    A XJ Yamahas came with a 4 to 2 exhaust system. Yours looks to be a newer Mac 4 to 1 system. It still looks solid, maybe a coat of paint to brighten it up.
    Gas in your oil is a problem with the carbs. Either incorrectly set float levels , aa float needle valve not sealing or a combination of both. I would be concerned about that, gas in the oil will quickly destroy the engine.

3. wwj750

wwj750 Member

Hey dude, welcome to the forum! I see you got a nice guitar, a cool jeep & now a great motorcycle. I like your choice of toys. +1 on what mlew says. Dont run your bike no more til you get your gas in oil prob. figgered out. Maybe try & address the bikes safety & maintenence B4 messing around with the pods. Or at least til you get real familiar with the carbs. Just my 2 cents worth here. If you need parts, look no further than XJ4ever at the top of the page. Our man Chacal there will probably have anything you might need & the best service as well. Enjoy the site & start learning all about your Maxim. Ask questions & follow the advice given by the great members here & you cant go wrong. Good luck!

4. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Nope that's good advice. I'd rather have a running bike than a paperweight with cool pods on it. I'll pull the carbs this week and see what's up. Probably will also swap the oil and check for gas. Good to know I've got a Mac. I hate the look, but it's got a nice sound and I can with some upgrades without shelling out a new exhaust. Yea it's solid. I'm just going to pull it and hitemp it. One thing that cracks me up is the sound, I get a lot of states from Harley guys when it pulls away sounding like a sport bike that's quick to boot.

5. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Typically most AM are MAC, although the Mac's have 4 into a large collector then the mufflers are clamped onto the large collector, so I am not sure that's a Mac 4-1...

Gas in oil? I think the prior posters are right on - but it Might be the PetCock leaking continuously -- that in and of itself isn't a problem -- if the float needles are sealing correctly -- if not the fuel runs down the intake throats and seeps past rings into the oil of course

You can find lots if seats on ebay

hope this helps and welcome

6. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Definitely helps! I'll check out the petcock for proper flow. Pulling the tank is a piece of cake.

My headlight went out last night. Just spent two hours trying to figure out exactly how to put the new bulb in. Got it back together and no dice.

... check the tube fuse.... fell out :roll:

7. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Whereabouts in South Jersey are you? Anywhere near West Deptford?

If you feel like riding sometime pm me.

I wouldn't mind giving you a hand getting things in order and figuring out some of those bugs you got to deal with. I can teach you the basics from valves and carbs to brake hoses and pads.

8. burton160w

burton160w New Member

Little north of there, in Pemberton up by McGuire AFB and Fort Dix. I would definitely like a hand setting up the carbs and dong brakes. I've torn down and cleaned the carbs, but they could still definitely use a good tuning. Plus I've got experience with drums/discs on automobiles but motorcycles are a slightly different thing. I would definitely be up for a ride and putting in some shop time.

9. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

That's not bad, you are about an hour away from me. PM me so I can give you my email, let's get your bike running GREAT.